GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone raised the engine slightly with spacers?

bowerhour4334

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I personally like to indulge in the low life, even though my oil pan has disagreed twice now. I was thinking about making some aluminum spacers to place inbetween the body and shoulder mounts to lift the engine about half an inch and was wondering if anybody has ever done this. would it mess up some geometry i.e. pendulum mount or the axles?

also, i have the ECS skidplate, however theres only about a quarter of an inch in between the oil pan and skid plate.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Yes it will mess with geometry. You will probably just start breaking parts. I have the skidplate too, if that's not enough you're just too low IMO.

bowerhour4334

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Yes it will mess with geometry. You will probably just start breaking parts. I have the skidplate too, if that's not enough you're just too low IMO.
The main thing is my oil pan was compromised with the skid plate due to it being to close and the skid plate flexing. Just hoping for a little Insurance that I figured the skid plate would provide.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
The issue is whether you want the car to look cool, or handle well.

When you lower the car and force the axles out of their normal plane - parallel to the ground - the worse your handling will become. I'm sure no suspension expert, but there is additional stress on the CV's, you will feel increased bump steer, and torque steer will become worse (especially if you're making more than stock power).

Anytime you change ride height, you must also try to compensate with a new alignment.

Lastly, running out of suspension travel can let the shocks bottom out and damage them.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Are you saying you bottom out on the skidplate and that is damaging your pan? That sucker is pretty strong and I have about 1/2" of clearance.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Try it and let us know. People have done this before. You may or may not experience all the BS others have already mentioned, but since you're driving a car THAT LOW you're probably already used to dealing with huge compromises.

bowerhour4334

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Are you saying you bottom out on the skidplate and that is damaging your pan? That sucker is pretty strong and I have about 1/2" of clearance.
Yes. I have about 2.5-3 inches of clearance from the ground and then less than half an inch from skid plate to oil pan.

Dumbhorsepoweradiction

Passed Driver's Ed
Actually by lowering that much you raise the wheels in the fender so by geometry you SHOULD be raising engine too! It will work Just perfect ! I did it myself on my mk2 Vr6 I shim all my rear engine mounts so my axles are perfectly strait ! No more axles snaping at high power level! Way to go ! My two cents!:23:

bowerhour4334

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Actually by lowering that much you raise the wheels in the fender so by geometry you SHOULD be raising engine too! It will work Just perfect ! I did it myself on my mk2 Vr6 I shim all my rear engine mounts so my axles are perfectly strait ! No more axles snaping at high power level! Way to go ! My two cents!:23:
This is interesting being the only post that supports the idea. Also the only poster that's probably speaking from experience.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I understand how cool stance looks, but if you're raising the engine then other parts of the car are in danger too. If you're determined to be low, just get real air ride and do it right.

Dodsy

Amazing post and fair play to him for seeing it regardless of cost and time [emoji2]

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U31 using Tapatalk