GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTIs and flooded roads

Ferris

www.ferrisgti.com
Car(s)
2007 Golf GTI 3D TR
We had an interesting experience driving from Brisbane to Canberra last week. Somewhere in NSW (can't remember exactly where, but I think it was between Armidale and Coonabarabran) we hit a flooded section of road - the roadside indicator showed the water to be around 40cm deep. Other cars (mostly 4WDs!) got through fine, and since driving back and finding an alternate route was going to take ages, I gave it a go. I maintained a constant, slow speed, making sure not to stop. Pretty scary stuff, but I'm happy to report that the GTI came through unscathed - not even a drop water in the door jambs! I guess it's a testament to VW's build quality and finish. I had no idea what would happen or if what I was doing was safe or not, never having driven through a flooded road before. What do you reckon... was I foolhardy, or just worried unnecessarily? Has anyone else had an experience like this in a Golf?

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
As long as the water isn't deep enough to get in the intake and you keep a slow steady pace to make a bow wave then 40cm should be fine. It's when you stop or the water gets to intake level you have to worry!

Ferris

www.ferrisgti.com
Car(s)
2007 Golf GTI 3D TR
DRMAT- that's good to hear. Everything seemed to work once I'd crossed the water, so I guessed it was OK :)

LIMA- VW service centre don't appear to have a GTI-specific snorkel :(
Maybe APR makes one? ;)

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Oh the other time you need to panic is when you have no choice but to go through a flooded road and you have a CAI that sits right behind the driving light!! Been there, done that... not again thanks! Heart palpatations!

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
DRMAT- that's good to hear. Everything seemed to work once I'd crossed the water, so I guessed it was OK :)

LIMA- VW service centre don't appear to have a GTI-specific snorkel :(
Maybe APR makes one? ;)

Try one of these :biggrin:

TimT

Go Kart Champion
just take 1 of the many aftermarket "filters on a stick" and rotate it to face upwards. Insta-snorkel! May need to cut a hole in your bonnet though :p

FJ_Steve

Age shall not weary him
I would have 'walked' the road first...making sure that there were no wash-aways or oversized potholes. Very easy to do this with a long branch from a tree (or similar).

Last thing you want to find out is that the road has disappeared half way across your "40cm stream"

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
I would have 'walked' the road first...making sure that there were no wash-aways or oversized potholes. Very easy to do this with a long branch from a tree (or similar).

Last thing you want to find out is that the road has disappeared half way across your "40cm stream"

(I agree) but they do it on TopGear all the time without checking and it never goes wrong! :lol:

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran

Excellent advice. If there is a significant crown on the road and/or banking doing that will also help you locate the shallowest (safest) part to drive through.

It also helps to know where your air intake is located. IIRC on some modern cars it is very low, with the result that the limit is only 20cm before risking the engine sucking in water instead of air. Unfortunately water isn't compressible, so if your engine ingests more than a very small quantity it could hydro-lock and bend/break something expensive (piston, rod, crankshaft).

If water gets into any of the myraid electronic control boxes it can also cause severe problems later as corrosion develops. This is why insurance companies often write-off cars that have been immersed in water, even though they may look good and currently appear to have no electrical problems.

I would be very reluctant to drive my Octy through deep water.