GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI wave?

JFranko

Passed Driver's Ed
I also drive a Jeep, and when I'm in it, I give and receive waves with other wranglers. It's kind of a sign of respect for their choice in vehicle. I know that corvette drivers, and motorcycles have a similar thing. Today I was out driving, and a MKV GTI was heading in the opposite direction, I noticed that he waved at me, so I waved back. I was just wondering if there is an official wave, or if it's just that one guy. Either way, I'll probably start waving to passing GTI owners.

:wavesmileythatthisforumdoesn'thave:

JFranko

Passed Driver's Ed
I only do it if they're modded. I think it would be silly to do it to soccer moms driving touaregs:lol:

I was only planning on waving at other GTIs, maybe Golfs. If I had to wave at every VW on the road around here, my arm would fall off because of all the Jettas and Beatles.

jokerific

Ready to race!
I've gotten the V from Mk6 owners, the nod from modded Mk5 and Mk4 owners, and GLI owners have stared me down without smiling or anything, so I don't think there's any consensus..

munkey

Ready to race!
I only do it if they're modded. I think it would be silly to do it to soccer moms driving touaregs:lol:

haha i meant only to GTIs, and generally only if they look like they might be enthusiasts.

If they don't even notice that another GTI is right next to them I just ignore them too lol.

carbonsteel11

Passed Driver's Ed
Over the past week i'be gotten Atleast five wave backs. I only wave at GTIs and GLIs. I try and keep the sunroof open as much as possible cause its easier to throw my arm up through it.

NoPCZone

Passed Driver's Ed
Golf 2.5 out in flyover country where Golfs of any variety are few outside of the large cities. If I see another Golf, an old Bug or Bus or a custom car I give a wave (in town) or a flash of the headlights (highway).
Nothing against Jettas or SUVs, but it's generally a different market.

AdamC

Ready to race!
I've given 4-5 waves to other mk5 & 6 GTI's (all I've seen) and only gotten one wave back. Douches. :p

Edit: As a VW newbie, is the "V" just a peace sign or a V with 4 fingers and a thumb? lol facepalm for newbness.

Last edited:

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
I wave to GTIs, and get a wave back about half the time :)

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
Next time why don't you give a wave to the search button there's a 3 page thread on this already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamC

Ready to race!
Sigh that's two threads where I've gotten that. Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Thought I was posting constructive comments that are related to the OP, and apparently I should treat this site more like XDA.

By the way, this thread has much better SEO than the one you had me search for.

Funny though that we were talking about friendly gestures that you show to fellow VW enthusiasts.