Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Good constructive and informative post, 3.slo. :thumbsup:

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
built bolt on/headwork/cammed/weight reduction Si's will give a K04 a run for its money. But of course, that's a totally different argument that is invalid but I can't imagine this thread going anywhere else. :D

Shit, I played with an Si like that in an E92 m3 (in dire need of a clutch/slave cylinder) and it gave the m3 a run for it's money. Clutch was slipping a bit though, and was impossible to shift quickly because of clutch dumping.. I would go to shift and the clutch pedal was basically an inch from the floor already haha

Tapatalkin

Dutchy

Go Kart Champion
I always loved the styling of the 8th Gen civics. That post makes me think that maybe I would pick one up in the future (an Si) because I've been wanting to do an all motor build for a while now. Don't get me wrong, I love my GTI, but it's pretty damn easy to get more power out of these cars. Something that requires a little more research and expertise sounds like a more fun challenge.

3.sl06MT

Stout
Car(s)
Honda Accord
^ My point exactly. Not that it isn't fun to make power in a turbo car, but there's something to be said about making all motor power.

Dave1078

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
When OP runs the Si again after a tune, I bet the GTI will pull justtt a bit. A good tune on the Si will gain tons of midrange power and extend the rev limiter another 400 RPM. With a 3" catback and a retune it should be a really close run. Props for posting a loss to an Si on a GTI forum though.

400 more RPM. Wow. Does it make good power with stock internals at that range?

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
i want vids of said k04 vs fully bolted and hot tuned si

Vids would be fun but wouldn't mean that much. There's a ton of car to car variation with modded GTI's performance. My K04 GTI ran 13.7 @ 102.6, similar times to a decently strong Stage 2 car. I've seen vids of bolted Sis hanging with Stage 2 cars, therefore I'm sure those same Sis could hang with my K04. Put the same Si up against TSiUG's 12.3 second k04 and it'd lose by a buslength or more. Obviously I'm making assumptions here based on a few street race videos and a couple of K04 drag strip outliers...show me a bolted 8G that can run a 12.3 at a drag strip like Sean's ringer K04 and I'd be very impressed indeed.

I'm a big fan of bolted 8G sedans btw, even if they aren't necessarily Frankenturbo killers.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Vids would be fun but wouldn't mean that much. There's a ton of car to car variation with modded GTI's performance. My K04 GTI ran 13.7 @ 102.6, similar times to a decently strong Stage 2 car. I've seen vids of bolted Sis hanging with Stage 2 cars, therefore I'm sure those same Sis could hang with my K04. Put the same Si up against TSiUG's 12.3 second k04 and it'd lose by a buslength or more. Obviously I'm making assumptions here based on a few street race videos and a couple of K04 drag strip outliers...show me a bolted 8G that can run a 12.3 at a drag strip like Sean's ringer K04 and I'd be very impressed indeed.

I'm a big fan of bolted 8G sedans btw, even if they aren't necessarily Frankenturbo killers.

+1 on 8th gen Si's. I stopped to look at one today, it was a 4dr, which I like over the 2dr. I actually really really like them..

And that's the thing with cars that are just way too close spec-wise.. It's all down to the driver and there is too many variables. They're both probably equally fast to the point where you wouldn't even notice much if you drove them back to back :thumbsup:

VeeDubbLuV

By the beard of Zeus
Car(s)
09 Tornado Red GTI
lol I thought he wasn't S/C at that point? He's getting the aftercooler soon for this spring. Shorter pulley as well.

The dude just flat out drives better than me. Almost wish I had DSG.

Could of been... Tho I did have a 250lb passenger with me. Can't do much from light to light on the Blvd. Definitely dig your brothers car, I test drove one at Summit right before I bought my GTI. From someone who has owned a mostly manuals, DSG is a big adv. Come spring we all need to head to the track!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

kal-el

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 MkV GTI
Could of been... Tho I did have a 250lb passenger with me. Can't do much from light to light on the Blvd. Definitely dig your brothers car, I test drove one at Summit right before I bought my GTI. From someone who has owned a mostly manuals, DSG is a big adv. Come spring we all need to head to the track!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Absolutely.

To all the others, I can provide a video of K04 FSI DM tuned vs. 8th gen supercharged Si vs K04 TSI APR tuned. Just not until winter is over lol

3.sl06MT

Stout
Car(s)
Honda Accord
i want vids of said k04 vs fully bolted and hot tuned si
This would be a massacre. NO bolt on Si would be a good match for a K04 unless it was fully stripped/Lexan, etc, weighing like, 2000lbs. Most likely it will take a fully built K20 or a moderately built K24 to keep up with a 'properly running' K04 GTI like TSUG.

There are more variables than mods, such as drivers, altitude, etc. My only point was, not every bolt on Si is slow, and there are large gaps in their performance depending on the variables above. I've seen Stage 2 traps from 100-105, so the GTI is no stranger to that. Maybe it's because I'm a legit Honda guy, and it urks me when fellow enthusiasts automatically assume because it's a Honda, it must be a slow POS. I'm not saying that was implied, but you get my drift.

Fun totally unrelated fact: I installed General GMAX AS-03 all seasons on Monday, and they were phenomenal in the snowstorm we had on Long Island yesterday. :thumbup:

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
There are more variables than mods, such as drivers, altitude, etc. My only point was, not every bolt on Si is slow, and there are large gaps in their performance depending on the variables above. :

And a valid point that is. I ran a few Si's when I had my K03 and it was always a close matchup. Although now it's not even close, with the exception of my buddies Si which is stripped and cammed and yadda yadda yadda. It's fast as tits basically

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Let me reiterate what I've said in other threads: I'm no Honda Fanboi but I like them when they're tastefully modded and I have a healthy respect for their speed potential. I've seen enough street legal Civic hatches run 12s or better at the drag strip and lost to a mild-looking hatch in a highway pull that happened to run low 11s when I saw it later that day at the strip. They're cool cars, no doubt.

grasman94

Passed Driver's Ed
update!

Got tuned and so did he, re ran and took the win.

His shit is still fast tho.

Last edited: