GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs. S2000

GTI Pilot

I drove a manual, which is what I'm planning on getting. I know the DSG is supposed to be faster, but every car I've owned in the past 13 years has been manual and have no interest shifting with paddles. :wink:

danger dan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
gti
i wanted an s2000 really bad before i got the gti, but i started checking into them, and although they are fast, aftermarket is EXPENSIVE, and the motor is alread tuned very well, so aftermarket really cant squeez too much more out of the motor without some pretty serious stuff.
it was that, amung with other things such as weight, DEFFINATELY ROON, and just general dd neeeds. and i like having max torque at 2-5k rpm.
i still wouldnt mind getting an s2000, but not as a dd of coarse.

stevezor

Ready to race!
Looks like I'm using my first post the forum to bring this back from the dead, but I'm an '04 S2000 owner interested in buying the GTI as my next car and as much as I like the GTI, I'm finding it very hard to believe when I read that people with stock (even stage 1 chipped) GTI's are "pulling" on S2000's. The S2000 is a high 13 second car that traps about 100mph when driven properly and I just can't see a stock GTI keeping up with one, especially from a roll. The S2000 weighs 2,800lb with about 200whp and the GTI weighs 3,100lb with about 180whp. Simple physics. :D

Anyway, I really like the GTI. I test drove one a few weeks ago and it impressed me. My butt dyno liked to low end torque, but I wasn't used to not having 8000 RPM to work with. It definitely did not feel as fast as my S2000, but then again, I didn't expect it to be. It was definitely comfy to drive though.

Theres a HUGE difference between stock and stage 1 chipped. A stock GTI WILL get demolished by a stock S2000, especially from freeway speeds, but once chipped, the GTI shouldn't have too hard of a time against a stock S2000. I know the whole "stock for stock" argument comes into play, but even with $500 - 600 in mods (price of a chip) I doubt the S2k would keep up with a chipped GTI.

danger dan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
gti
I know the whole "stock for stock" argument comes into play, but even with $500 - 600 in mods (price of a chip) I doubt the S2k would keep up with a chipped GTI.
for the price of a chip, i would be absolutely amazed if an s2000 could gain even 3 hp to the wheels.

but it would probably take stage 2 to pull on an s2000, at least at higher speeds.

GTI Pilot

I would agree with a Stage 2 GTI with exhaust/intake would probably pull on an S2000, but not Stage 1. When I watched the video of a Stage 1 APR GTI getting pulled fairly steadily by a stock Infiniti G35, I don't see it hanging with an S2000. I've raced a stock 6-speed G35 with my stock S2000 and I took it by about 2 car lengths from a 40-100mph roll.

I do agree that the S is not cheap to mod, but then again, not many cars are. It's a shame the F20/22C motors aren't as mod friendly as the K20A's in the RSX. Turbocharged cars are inherently receptive to mods. It's hard to compare the two.

I love the S, but it's getting a bit impractical for me these days. I need something with more cargo space/backseat and that's more suitable for longer highway commutes. The S2000 is just too damn loud inside. I can barely hold a conversation with my handsfree headset because I can't hear. Lots of wind and engine noise when you're doing 75-80mph (4000RPM). The S2000 is raw, which is what Honda designed it to be. Great car, I just need to move on. Now I just need to get rid of it. Seems as though the S2000 market is stale (it is winter, I guess). I will be looking for a '07 6-speed, package 2 GTI as soon as I can get rid of it.

stevezor

Ready to race!
My car with just APR stage 1 pulled on my friends 6 speed 350Z with intake and full exhaust (header all the way back), which I'm sure is a bit faster than a stock G35. Regardless of what people say, I truly do believe that the 2007's chipped ARE making more power than the 2006's chipped. When I dyno'd my car after the getting APR I put down just shy of 219 fwhp. One of the guys who worked at the place I got my car chipped also had a MKV, but a 2006 and he only put down 206-ish fwhp right after I made my pull. My car might be a factory freak, but, there had to be a reason why APR took the extra months to develop a seperate tuning file for the 07's right?

stevezor

Ready to race!
Honestly, I have no idea. From what the owner of the car tells me though, is that the motor isn't much of a bolt-on whore like say, a LS1. I would assume intake and full exhaust would add maybe 10-15whp over a baseline Z.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)

passatvr6

Theres a HUGE difference between stock and stage 1 chipped. A stock GTI WILL get demolished by a stock S2000, especially from freeway speeds, but once chipped, the GTI shouldn't have too hard of a time against a stock S2000. I know the whole "stock for stock" argument comes into play, but even with $500 - 600 in mods (price of a chip) I doubt the S2k would keep up with a chipped GTI.

I would agree with a Stage 2 GTI with exhaust/intake would probably pull on an S2000, but not Stage 1. When I watched the video of a Stage 1 APR GTI getting pulled fairly steadily by a stock Infiniti G35, I don't see it hanging with an S2000. I've raced a stock 6-speed G35 with my stock S2000 and I took it by about 2 car lengths from a 40-100mph roll.

I do agree that the S is not cheap to mod, but then again, not many cars are. It's a shame the F20/22C motors aren't as mod friendly as the K20A's in the RSX. Turbocharged cars are inherently receptive to mods. It's hard to compare the two.

I love the S, but it's getting a bit impractical for me these days. I need something with more cargo space/backseat and that's more suitable for longer highway commutes. The S2000 is just too damn loud inside. I can barely hold a conversation with my handsfree headset because I can't hear. Lots of wind and engine noise when you're doing 75-80mph (4000RPM). The S2000 is raw, which is what Honda designed it to be. Great car, I just need to move on. Now I just need to get rid of it. Seems as though the S2000 market is stale (it is winter, I guess). I will be looking for a '07 6-speed, package 2 GTI as soon as I can get rid of it.

My car with just APR stage 1 pulled on my friends 6 speed 350Z with intake and full exhaust (header all the way back), which I'm sure is a bit faster than a stock G35. Regardless of what people say, I truly do believe that the 2007's chipped ARE making more power than the 2006's chipped. When I dyno'd my car after the getting APR I put down just shy of 219 fwhp. One of the guys who worked at the place I got my car chipped also had a MKV, but a 2006 and he only put down 206-ish fwhp right after I made my pull. My car might be a factory freak, but, there had to be a reason why APR took the extra months to develop a seperate tuning file for the 07's right?

Finaly some ubiased comments. I agree with you guys 100%.

A stock s2000/g35/350z rapes a stock mk5 real bad. (1.5-2 buslenghts)

With just a chip I don't think the would be passing these cars, and with stage 2 they will have tough times dealing with them.

danger dan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
gti

i didnt think that the 07s were any different YET, but i dunno, maybe just some of the other changes havent happend, if thats the case im happy, cuz i have an 07, apr chipped:thumbup:

arsenal55

DSGTI MK5
I know there's a lot of anti-Honda here, but if somebody has no respect for the S2000, then they aren't true automotive enthusiasts. The S2K embodies the closest thing to a true sports car for the least amount of money. It's cars like the Lotus Elise, S2000, and Z4 that prove you don't need that much power. Good balance and minimal weight along with a great transmission are the best things for your car.

Take the GTI for instance. The DSG is FANTASTIC, and I'm sure we can all agree the "small" 200 HP feels a lot stronger with a good shifting unit.

arsenal55

DSGTI MK5
Thing about the Z is, the VQ doesn't respond to bolt ons very well. It does very little for overall performance. Slap a VTEC controller, racing cams, and I/H/E on an F20 or F22 from the S2K and you have a lot more power. Turbocharge and it's not even fair.

Oh, and the 350Z weighs almost as much as my father's TSX. tisk tisk.