GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs. A3 vs. Mazdaspeed3 ... one is eliminated!

dvdre

Where is pancakes house?
I went out today to do some test drives, and the Mazaspeed3 was my main target.

I walked into the Mazda showroom and there was a Mazdaspeed3 sport (cheap) edition right there, inside. The salesman greeted me and we waltzed over. I opened the passenger door and sat down. Yuck! That interior looks like something out of a 1985 Toyota. Many surfaces are black glossy with red pinstripes. The seats felt like cheap polyester. UH ... Can I see the grand touring version?

That took a walk outside and there was a blazing red one. I opened the door, looked in, and said, 'Not for me.' ... walked out without a test drive. There is no way I am driving that for the next 6 years of my life.

Also today, went to Carmax and drove a white 4-door 2007 GTI with cloth seats and manual transmission. I wanted to try out the manual -- I've driven the DSG version. I liked it the manual and I have a manual bias ... but .. DSG is just plain better. I really like that it is fun to drive when you want that, and easy when you need that. My target GTI: 2007, 4-door, DSG, sunroof. Leather vs. cloth is my only remaining question.

Also ... rolled another mile and visited the Audi dealer to test drive an A3 with DSG. (I'd driven a manual before.) It was a 2008, and red with beige interior. The ride was awesome. I really like this car. The A3's looks turn me off a little, but I am warming up to it. It is like a luxo GTI, quiet, comfortable and fun.

The Audi dealer was great. They know I want a used one, and they are going to look. I told them I am also considering a GTI, and they were cool with that. There was no pressure. They were friendly and helpful. I had an A4 two cars ago and I loved Audi service.

So now I am down to GTI vs. A3. I like this choice.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
I had the same experience at the local Audi dealer. Excellent experience.

I already had my GTI when I drove the A3. I loved the A3's interior, but didn't like the DSG or the lighter steering feel as much. You really can't go wrong either way.

HoldDaMayo

Leaner and Meaner
Car(s)
2007 GTI UG 5 Door
sounds like fun... I love test driving cars...

Ronan1

Ready to race!
I would get the A3! I didn't because its much more expensive than the GTI with the same features. The GTI really is great value, but the Audi feels much more expensive inside.

If I had the choice again, I would get the leather over the cloth. The seats are much better in the leather version. I would certainly drive them both and see which one you preferred! Good luck with your decision!

Boonedock82

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 MKV
I love the look of my cloth seats, and when ever someone new gets in the car they always comment on them. With that said knowing what I know now I would probably go with the leather option just for the ease of keeping them clean. Due to me being anal I wont let anyone else eat or drink in my car for fear of having to try and deal with stains on the seats.

I also test drove the A3 and loved it, great interior great ride and all that, looks are somewhat unique and I like that. With all that said I went with the GTI because of the cost thing and I do prefer having a 2 door car. The only reason I would have been truely drawn to the A3 would have been with the S-line options (3.2L) quattro and the opensky system, but optioned out like that it took the car way way out of my price range and if I was going to be spending that ammount of money I would have been looking at different vehicles.

geboost07

X20A Strike Freedom
Car(s)
golf gti
which ever you choose its 20 times better than a mazda with a craptacular interior. thats seems to be the ultimate deciding descision between rival cars take the subi and evo for instance.

aliti19

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 GTI w/ PP
it's all gonna come down to how much you want to spend. If price were no option, I would've come out with an A3 2.0t s-line - no questions asked. BUT... when you actually realize that an Autobahn packaged GTI is about $5k cheaper than a similarly equipped A3, it makes it A LOT easier to pick the GTI.

Dakar

Paid In Full
Car(s)
VW GTI
in leather seats i think you side to much, is sticky and hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. as far as car choice like some one else said A3 is awsome but GTI is a better deal and drives sportier(if thats a word) so that is a hard choice, but if it comes to cloth or leather it would have to be cloth for me.

dvdre

Where is pancakes house?
Here's a weird follow up question: What's the road clearance like for a GTI vs. an A3? I ask because I have a very short but steep driveway (townhouse), and too-low cars will scrape. My BMW 323 does fine and so did my Audi A4. An Acura Integra did scrape.

I think the length of the car and the overhang from the tires are also issues. I would expect the GTI and Audi A3 would have no problem. I will test drive the actual car into my driveway before I buy it (my car-buying tradition.)