GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI top speed governor

Derf

Ready to race!
So today I found the top speed limit of the car at 125mph, which is 4K RPM in 6th gear. It kind of took a while to get up there and fuel economy was right around 15mpg according to the OBC, so I probably won’t ever be driving the car up there, but just out of curiosity, do any of the tunes move the top speed limiter higher? Or any other way to adjust the governor limit? VagCOM or OBD11?

I think my old M3 had a limiter at 137mph in 5th gear!

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
What can you do in 5th gear?

I assume you are asking because you know the car is limited to 125 in every gear that can reach it? Or are you asking because some cars can only reach their top speed in 5th gear if they have 6, or like my old Passat, top speed was in 4th gear and not 5th?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
OP, what's the speed rating of your tires? The top speed of a stock car never exceeds the capability of the OEM tires. I'm guessing they're H-rated.

R's are Y-rated to 168 MPH, overkill without a tune.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I think every flash tune will remove the limiter, but watch the real speed limiter which is the tires. If you wanna go fast, Z rated tires are you're best bet

B00STED1

Ready to race!
I found out the top speed limiter really quick when doing a run with my jb4 lmao Mine stopped at 124 mph

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Z only means over 149. You need to know the supplemental rating.

True listen to The Fed. Z tires can be 150 or a lot higher, its up to the supplemental rating to specify. If you wanna really play ball go up to Y rated tires.

Derf

Ready to race!
OP, what's the speed rating of your tires? The top speed of a stock car never exceeds the capability of the OEM tires. I'm guessing they're H-rated.

R's are Y-rated to 168 MPH, overkill without a tune.

And pointless even on a track- more relevant to the autobahn in Germany.

Yes, my stock tires were Continental ProContact H rated (130mph). The speed rating is there to let you know that you shouldn't exceed that speed with that tire. If you do for a SUSTAINED period of time the air in the tire will heat up and expand causing the tire to explode.

“Speed ratings are certified maximum sustained speed designations assigned to passenger car radials and high performance tires. Because of the evolution of high-speed passenger car travel, it was necessary to establish a way to rate a tire's high-speed capability. In the U.S., these ratings are based on tire testing in laboratory conditions under simulated loads (European testing uses actual road testing). For a tire to be speed rated by the U.S. Government, it must meet certain minimum standards for reaching and sustaining that specified speed.”
Source : https://www.yokohamatire.com/utspeed.asp

“Speed ratings in the US are based on laboratory tests where the tire is pressed against a large diameter metal drum to reflect its appropriate load, and run at ever increasing speeds (in 6.2 mph steps in 10 minute increments) until the tire's required speed has been met.”
Source : http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

According to converations I've had with tire manufacturers, they are under-rated to protect themselves. It's a liability rating. As the medical profession calls it CYA: Cover your Axx. More air pressure+heat+centrifugal force is a bad combination. Even if they survive @ 150mph with the 130mph rated tires, it would be easier to blow-out from pot-hole, road obstacle, etc due to all the force to the walls and contact area of the tire.

Like I said, it DID take a little bit to get to 125.
Albeit not 10 minutes, but it sure seemed that way when it happened!

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
What gear were you in when you started laying on it?

Manual can get to the limiter in 4th gear if you run it all the way to the redline (not sure about the DSG).

Hoon

Autocross Champion
It's a soft limiter, gradually reduces power output as you get closer to top speed...that's why it takes forever to get the last few mph.

Any tune will fix that BS.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Yea tune will take care of that. Once I went stage 2 I was doing some pulls and after a 4th gear log I just kept going. I hit 135 at the top of 5th. thing kept going and going. Tuned these cars will for sure hit all of the 180 on the dash

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

Antimatter

Ready to race!
Yea tune will take care of that. Once I went stage 2 I was doing some pulls and after a 4th gear log I just kept going. I hit 135 at the top of 5th. thing kept going and going. Tuned these cars will for sure hit all of the 180 on the dash

You won't see 180 unless you go big turbo or have a really good is38 tune. 160 is probably the number for a good tune.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
You won't see 180 unless you go big turbo or have a really good is38 tune. 160 is probably the number for a good tune.
For sure is20 will taper to 160-165ish. I remember seeing a video or 2 of an is38 car getting to 180 though.