GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI MKVII to have 260bhp!

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
The current GTI already has 230hp... I don't see why 260 isn't possible.
It's not that it isn't possible. It's clearly possible since a tune and intake can get you there. The question that should be asked is "is it probable?" I personally think no.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
k04?
ValveLift?
FSI-TSI?
By the way,the VAQ sounds awesome in comparison to the XDS,good option!! Pretty much this a Revoknuckle VDub version,similar to the ford one on the RS. I like it!

No. RevoKnuckle is a revision of the MacPherson strut configuration which reduces system weight and scrub radius to help eliminate torque steer. It's all geometry, not fancy-pantsy electronics and clutch packs. RevoKnuckle isn't used because it would require a new strut design which would cost WAY too much money unless everyone decided to switch to it.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
I doubt we will see 260 HP in the new GTI. I'd expect a revision of the 2.0 TSI motor to find its way in, possibly with a valve lift system similar to Audi's, a better flowing head, and something to address carbon buildup. I'd expect around 230 claimed crank HP. Enough to keep it competitive.

I like their continued focus on reducing vehicle weight. That would only have good effects on the entire package. I will say, I'm a bit disappointed there are no reports of intent to use a 1.8T motor. Would save weight over the front of the vehicle which would also be a good thing, and help it get better fuel mileage.

P

plac

so a MK6 K04 GTI will still dominate it. for about $3k, compared to years of new car debt.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't hold your breath on any of those "rumors". Besides you can get that output with a $500 tune on a MK6...The GTI, to maintain it's volume, needs to stay in a certain range to remain competitive. Don't expect a lot of fancy upgrades without a big bump in price..

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
unless they definitely address the LSD or make other changes, I don't know how the GTI will be able to handle 230+ hp in stock form without spinning wheels or pinging traction control. think about how much wheel spin we get with a stage one tune at 250 hp. I'm more hopeful that the haldex system or a real diff is put in than the hp being upgraded. I can add power on my own, but would prefer to get the LSD/awd from the factory

krische

vdubber in training
Don't expect a lot of fancy upgrades without a big bump in price..

The new Golf is designed on the VAG's new MQB platform. It's supposed to significantly lower the cost of manufacture. So maybe they will be able to include some extra goodies and keep it the same price as the previous model.

GTITX1

Ready to race!
I realize I am older than most of you, but I really like stock 200hp VW engine because it lacks turbo lag and has very good power. More power would be better, but not if it detracts from its wonderful daily driver response. That's what I feel 95% of the time. Based on all the other 2.0-liter turbo engines today, making more power it not that difficult. Even Ford’s 2.0T produces over 250hp.

BMW 2.0T = 240hp/255 ft-lbs
Buick 2.0T = 270hp/295 ft-lbs
Ford 2.0T = 252hp/270 ft-lbs
Hyundai 2.0T = 274hp/ 269 ft-lbs
Mitsubishi 2.0T = 291hp/ 300 ft-lbs
Saab 2.0T = 210hp/221 ft-lbs

I’m sure VW could have done this years ago if they wanted to.

The IHI and the K04 both have pretty much zero perceptible lag, it is the torque surge that people mistake for lag, especially in the stage 1 cars.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
The IHI and the K04 both have pretty much zero perceptible lag, it is the torque surge that people mistake for lag, especially in the stage 1 cars.

I HATE when people say this. Call it what you want, but even a turbo as small as the IHI feels completely different from a larger N/A engine. There's definitely lag/delay/spooling/surge, whether you want to call it that or not, especially down low in the revs. You can even hear the lag with the windows down. Go on a steep hill, select whatever gear will get you to 2100 RPM, floor it, and wait nearly a full second for the turbo to spool and make noise and full torque. That's my experience with spool delay/lag.

/rant

What I'd like more than anything for the MK7 is a twin-scroll version of the IHI to reduce the low-RPM lag. It'd probably make 20 extra HP up top too. That'd also fit with the driveability aspect.

GP813

Ready to race!
That rear fender better be a joke. Absolutely ghastly.