GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI MKV vibration after timing belt job

Ace-

Hello everyone this is my first post so go easy on me. This weekend I finally got around to doing my timing belt. Everything went smooth besides drilling out 2 of the crank pulley bolts and trying to remove the engine mount bracket.:mad0259: Tensioning was a breeze compared to my old 944 and felt very confident in the work i did. So much that i didn't even hand crank the engine before firing it up. :happyanim: Took it out for the maiden voyage home everything seemed fine until about 2 miles into the trip i started to get a vibration. I took the risk and pushed it home where by that time i was hoping i just had a flat. Anywho I now have a vibration that only shows up while driving. It vibrates less when accelerating (almost disappears) and more under deceleration. When the clutch pedal is in it is still there and does not change. The engine runs fine and does not vibrate or shake while stopped. Havent really had a chance to take a look since besides pulling the passenger side tire to reseat it and make sure it wasn't misaligned at all. Hopefully one of you guys can help I'm kind of at a loss until i can get it back on jack stands. Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

Ace-

Ill double check them but like I said the engines nice and smooth at idle. If it were one of the mounts wouldn't it shake even at a stand still? Also forgot to mention this (probably very important) when supporting the engine with a jack during the timing belt change i think i may have went a little too high. I didnt hear any snap or anything but i know i must have taken atleast a little weight off the jackstands (passenger side only) that were supporting the car. From what ive seen in pics the tranny mount looks solid? Would it be possible to snap bolts anchoring it ?

Ace-

Ill double check them but like I said the engines nice and smooth at idle. If it were one of the mounts wouldn't it shake even at a stand still? Also forgot to mention this (probably very important) when supporting the engine with a jack during the timing belt change i think i may have went a little too high. I didnt hear any snap or anything but i know i must have taken atleast a little weight off the jackstands (passenger side only) that were supporting the car. From what ive seen in pics the tranny mount looks solid? Would it be possible to snap bolts anchoring it ?

BahimMKV

Steering Wheel Vibrates

Ace,

I just finished changing my timing belt, and I agree that you have to lift the engine really high to get the engine bracket off. Now, that I IDLE the engine with the AC off, I feel increased vibration on the steering wheel. I have not been able to check the other two mounts, but I believe that there was too much pressure applied to the dog bone mount. I noticed how this mount was already hitting the frame. I did hear a little pop while slightly and gently raising the engine. I disregarded it and continued working on it, but I did not go any higher. With the AC on, there is no vibration. Im planning on changing the dog mount sometime soon.

How about your vibration? Have you figured it out?