GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI MKV, buying, what to look out for?

DEKAY

new
in my opinion (evidence or not) i still think servicing a car before the recommended date is not a bad idea and should be common practice if you drive your car hard. Better to service the car sooner rather than later.. i wont take 105 as gospel but i will consider this point as it is 20k close to the recommended service.

Thanks for that list Jesse, i dont see myself buying a car under warranty as funds probably wont stretch to an 'almost' new GTI, so having an idea on what repair costs will be down the track are a big factor when looking at cars.

REDMKVGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
So why don't people change their oil more often than 15K if it's fairly widely accepted that for a FI car this is prob too long?

They either:

Do on the grounds of better being safe than sorry. I do, most people I know that own FI cars do.

Don't because VW says they don't have to.

In looking for a second hand GTI, Id be looking for logbook servicing as the minimum.

If it were me, I'd also like to see oil changes every 7500k or every 12 months (whichever comes first), and, if your looking at higher k cars I'd also be checking for any modifications to the car that may have done a bit of work towards shortening the life of certain components.

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
They either:

Do on the grounds of better being safe than sorry. I do, most people I know that own FI cars do.

Don't because VW says they don't have to.
I agree with first statement. I change my oil/filter every 7500 or 12 months - heck I do my DSG oil & filter every 30K.
I'm just interested in the second point - why do what VW says you don't have to do, unless someone can show official evidence otherwise?? [timing belt @ 105K] If it's good enough for oil, why shouldn't people wait for the timing belt change??

REDMKVGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I agree with first statement. I change my oil/filter every 7500 or 12 months - heck I do my DSG oil & filter every 30K.
I'm just interested in the second point - why do what VW says you don't have to do, unless someone can show official evidence otherwise?? [timing belt @ 105K] If it's good enough for oil, why shouldn't people wait for the timing belt change??

Don't have to service more often than 15k.

YouSnooze

Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
D'uh! Did you actually read most of this thread????? :mad0259:
I reckon you don't really need to check the tyre pressures at least annually either :lol:*

* Note sarcasm here.

DEKAY

new

triode12

Go Kart Champion

DEKAY

new
thanks, your right.

i am hanging out for something decent to show up, atm all im seeing are older models for super high prices.. im particularly after black so its narrowing my search but regardless im trying to suss out the true value of these cars so i don't rip myself off.

jesse085

Passed Driver's Ed
hey guys, im eyeing off this car but not 100% sure so im after second opinions..

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...62677 4294962746 395 444 4294898544&__Nne=15#

88k on the clock and asking for $25K .. considering an 07 gti with half the kms, at 45k sold for that same price, how much is the car i linked really worth?

You might be waiting a long time to find a bargain like the 07 gti selling for 25k with 45k on it, i personally watch the market very closely and believe it was sold under its true market value.

I cant see the link as carsales is blocked at my work, does it have all the options like roof leather, dsg etc?? If so 25k is a good starting price, if you drove it away for 22k then you've got yourself a great deal.

DEKAY

new
You might be waiting a long time to find a bargain like the 07 gti selling for 25k with 45k on it, i personally watch the market very closely and believe it was sold under its true market value.

I cant see the link as carsales is blocked at my work, does it have all the options like roof leather, dsg etc?? If so 25k is a good starting price, if you drove it away for 22k then you've got yourself a great deal.

its dsg, seller claims it looks immaculate. no options such as leather or sunroof which makes me wonder why so high for an 05. i would be very happy to get it in the low 20s, as thats what my budget is for one. 22k would be ideal.

There are ones with lower kms and and even options for a more realistic 22-23k, unfortunately they are interstate such as nsw and act, no where near Vic where i am at.

jesse085

Passed Driver's Ed
its dsg, seller claims it looks immaculate. no options such as leather or sunroof which makes me wonder why so high for an 05. i would be very happy to get it in the low 20s, as thats what my budget is for one. 22k would be ideal.

There are ones with lower kms and and even options for a more realistic 22-23k, unfortunately they are interstate such as nsw and act, no where near Vic where i am at.

Yeah for an 05 model its probably a bit pricey, i would probably avoid the 05 models just because it was the start of the model run & chances of issues could be higher.

Just keep at it, you will find what you want. I bought mine in april last yr & Like you i had about 22k to spend and wanted a black one, i didnt care so much about options and a red one optioned out popped up in my price range but i just couldnt bring myself to owning a red car, im glad i passed on it because a week later mine came on the market, black, manual, vw history got it for 22.5k it was even in Newcastle lol so i didnt have to travel.

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using Tapatalk

Bakks

Passed Driver's Ed

Buying a car interstate is a very easy process. I live in NSW and bought my car from Victoria. It would certainly increase your options.

REDMKVGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Looks like it's gone, from what you've said though, sounds a bit rich.

I've been debating selling mine on and off for the last year, I would expect close to $30K for mine (2007, leather, Manual, 3dr, 35k, full vw history).

DEKAY

new
Buying a car interstate is a very easy process. I live in NSW and bought my car from Victoria. It would certainly increase your options.

mmm im hesitant due to not being able to check it out myself, how did u go about buying one?

YouSnooze

Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
2005 models had stronger engines with forged internals plus active head restraints and DSG oil coolers. VW actually removed these goodies as time went on FYI.