GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gti is gutless after timing belt change

mikeyriot

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright last question about this I hope. I believe I'm off half a tooth. Would that cause power loss? I figured it was fine since it was in the middle of the tooth instead of the line at the top of the tooth so I'm hoping that's it. Any suggestions? I was having trouble getting the belt tight on the water pump side. It idles fine and runs smooth she's just gutless now. Hoping it's just cause it's off half a tooth..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Not having specific experience with timing belts changes, I would say that if the valves are a bit out of sync, the piston would push some of the fuel mixture out (by the valve opening) reducing the overall efficiency and power

mikeyriot

Passed Driver's Ed
Codes popped up today. P0101 and P0172. Pretty sure it's just because it's slightly off. Like I said the cam arrow was at the bottom of the tooth instead of at the line at the top. I bought the cam lock tool to do my chain tensioner. Can I use it to lock the cam at tdc when I do the belt?

mikeyriot

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok I have an issue. I can't get the slack pulled out of the belt. Either it's loose and the crank moves when I tension it or I pull it tight and it moves the crank. I've been at it for hours and I can't get both cam and crank tdc and to stay tdc after tensioning. Any tips?