GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gti interior variations

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all

New to the forum and new to the GTI ownership.

I recently purchased a 2008 mkv gti here in Ireland . It has the tartan interior and air conditioning. Most of the images I have seen of interiors of gti mkvs have the climate control features in it.

My car has the multi function steering wheel which I believe was a factory extra? Just wondering in terms of having ac and not climate control would it be possible that this car was not ordered with climate control features?

Thanks in andvance

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
The way it worked, at least here in the US was:

Multi function steering wheel was standard & automatic climate control was only on the top level trim (package 2 or "Autobahn" here in the States)

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed

Multi function steering wheel was standard & automatic climate control was only on the top level trim (package 2 or "Autobahn" here in the States)

Thanks very much, I’ve read on some forums that in Europe climate control was standard so was questioning that because of it. I guess it would have been common to have a number of different types of variations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Thanks very much, I’ve read on some forums that in Europe climate control was standard so was questioning that because of it. I guess it would have been common to have a number of different types of variations.

I think in Europe the multifunction steering wheel was an option (but it can also be country dependant), for instance I don't have it but I have Climatronic, rain sensor and auto headlights (not sure what was included and not since I bought the car used). I think you need the rain/light sensor for Climatronic since it adapts when there is direct sunlight.

I saw one guy retrofit Climatronic on a French forum but it is very complicated (you need to add a lot of sensors, and change some components as well)

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
I think in Europe the multifunction steering wheel was an option (but it can also be country dependant), for instance I don't have it but I have Climatronic, rain sensor and auto headlights (not sure what was included and not since I bought the car used). I think you need the rain/light sensor for Climatronic since it adapts when there is direct sunlight.

I saw one guy retrofit Climatronic on a French forum but it is very complicated (you need to add a lot of sensors, and change some components as well)

Thanks for the heads up, I guess my worry was that the car may have been converted to a gti and was a normal mkv at some stage, as on some other forums they were saying that it came standard on all uk cars so I would have presumed Ireland was the same.

Engine code is BWA and matches can belt cover as well. I can’t read the codes in the trunk as the writing ha faded away.

Is there any other things to look out for to identify a proper gti mkv?

Thanks

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion

In 2008-09 the NAR GTI was not available with climatronic, it came standard on the R.

Last edited:

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Thanks for the heads up, I guess my worry was that the car may have been converted to a gti and was a normal mkv at some stage, as on some other forums they were saying that it came standard on all uk cars so I would have presumed Ireland was the same.

Engine code is BWA and matches can belt cover as well. I can’t read the codes in the trunk as the writing ha faded away.

Is there any other things to look out for to identify a proper gti mkv?

Thanks

That seems to be very unlikely as it would make no sense from a cost standpoint. The GTI has its own:

- Engine (BWA makes sense for a 2008), engine cover, ECM and exhaust line (I think)
- Own front grill/bumper and side skirts
- Own brake calipers (red with GTI logo)

Don't you have the service manual? The exact model/engine code is in there on the first page (actually that's the sticker you are looking for in the trunk). Else you could ask a VW dealer using the VIN they should be able to find out.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
In 2008-09 the NAR GTI was not available with climatronic, it came standard on the R.

Hm, didn't know that :thumbsup:

That seems to be very unlikely as it would make no sense from a cost standpoint. The GTI has its own:

- Engine (BWA makes sense for a 2008), engine cover, ECM and exhaust line (I think)

Don't you have the service manual? The exact model/engine code is in there on the first page (actually that's the sticker you are looking for in the trunk). Else you could ask a VW dealer using the VIN they should be able to find out.

OP, your VIN will tell you where it was made. If you google "VW Vin Decoder" there are many websites that will decode it for you.

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed

I don’t have the service manual for it unfortunately it had some main dealer service history for which there were invoices re riots etc, this example had a good portion of its work carried out at a local garage and the booklets got lost over the years as this Car has changed hands a few times.
Might ask the local dealership as suggested just to see if all adds up, chassis number etc are matching up with vehicle registration document. Vin number in windscreen also matching documentation (I have heard that it is very difficult to alter this)

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
He wants to know which type of engine is linked with the car VIN. You cannot find out without a dealer.

The VIN will tell you what engine was installed in that car see chart NAR.

If you go to dealer you can get the PR numbers for the car by VIN and it will contain more info then you can get from the PR label in trunk or in glove box or owners manual. The one I have for my car is over four pages long.

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
The VIN will tell you what engine was installed in that car see chart NAR.

If you go to dealer you can get the PR numbers for the car by VIN and it will contain more info then you can get from the PR label in trunk or in glove box or owners manual. The one I have for my car is over four pages long.

Thanks very much for the heads up, I ran a quick decoder there and all looks to be adding up but will also contact the dealership re the PR numbers.
As per your guide, I’ve got a 1k code which is indicating gti so looks to be correct.
What concerns me is that inside the it looks like underneath the carpets the chassis colour is red but the body color of the car is black, can’t understand why