GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI goes through oil unusually fast?

mdees98

I randomly happened to check my oil today to find it about 2.5 quarts low, barely registering on the dip stick. I'm only 2,500 miles past my oil change. is this just a common occurrence with the GTI?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
2500 past 10,000 miles? The FSI cars are more prone to consumption but regardless you should check any car once a month depending on how you drive. The longer you wait the worse it will be. I do 5k changes and usually don't have to add any.

Zach L

VR junkie
I think he means it's been 2,500 miles since his last oil change. Many dealership will tell you that 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles is normal and you shouldn't be concerned, which is ridiculous.

The stock PCV system creates a very very high level of vacuum on the engine. I had high oil consumption too until I switched to an exhaust-routed PCV years ago. The new system keeps the engine under vacuum but not at excessive levels. With 7k-8k mile oil changes, I have had no oil consumption since converting to the new PCV setup. That's on an engine with over 200k miles now.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just weighing in as someone with a higher mileage stock drivetrain. My car has about 135k miles on it now and burns off approximately half a quart every 1,000 miles. It was burning a bit more when I was running Mobil 1 0w-40. I've since switched to Rotella T6 (note: not a VW approved oil) and the burn-off has reduced slightly. My car has used this amount of oil, on average, since the day I bought it with 36k miles on it. I also do 5k mile oil change intervals per the manual.

Protip: I use my tripometer to keep track and check it every 1,000 miles. There's a nice little slot in the hatch that holds a quart of oil perfectly.

Last edited:

Ich_Will

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 GTI
I check my oil every 2500 miles and usually add a 1/2 quart or so. The fact that you went that much beyond an oil change (5000 or 10000 interval?) it doesn't surprise me you are 2.5 quarts low. You might want to make easy maintenance items like this less 'random'.

mdees98

I change my oil every 5,000 (I'm 2500 miles in right now) I just put castrol edge 5w30 in to top it off. I know these turbos eat oil but this is A LOT. How much is an upgraded PCV kit and installation fees?

DerSock

Ready to race!
You should probably use 5w-40.

joelkswagen

Passed Driver's Ed
There is no way you are 2.5 quarts low. If it is at all registered on the dipstick, the lowest you could possibly be is slightly over 1 quart. If you were 2.5 quarts low you would definitely be triggering the low oil CEL. I had my oil topped off the other day with it barely showing on the dipstick and it only took 1 quart.

Zach L

VR junkie
I know these turbos eat oil but this is A LOT. How much is an upgraded PCV kit and installation fees?
The most basic PCV modification is called a "block off plate" or "revamp" for about $100. Basically the front PCV inlet on the manifold is disconnected and capped off, the unreliable factory PCV valve is eliminated, and all the PCV gases are plumbed out the valve cover's rear PCV port to the intake, where it then goes through the turbo, intercooler and all boost piping before being burnt up by the engine. Another modification is to buy a catch can kit, either recirculating or VTA (vent-to-atmosphere aka race) setups. Be careful with these if you live in a cold climate.

Exhaust-routed PCV setups are custom. A port nipple has to be welded into the downpipe after the catalytic converter. PCV gases are ran out the valve cover's rear port straight to the exhaust. A venturi effect creates slight vacuum on the crankcase, which is ideal. Total cost is about $225.

I recommend a 5-40 oil from a European company. The US has regulations that allow oils to be called "full synthetic" that would not be considered full synthetic in Europe. Liqui-moly, Pentosin, Eneos, Total, Vaico and even ester-alcohol based oils from Motul and Redline are all great. You can buy these online for cheaper than you pay for Castrol at the local auto part store.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
There is no way you are 2.5 quarts low. If it is at all registered on the dipstick, the lowest you could possibly be is slightly over 1 quart. If you were 2.5 quarts low you would definitely be triggering the low oil CEL. I had my oil topped off the other day with it barely showing on the dipstick and it only took 1 quart.

Yeah, I didn't think about that. From what I understand, the distance on the stick from Max to Min is 1 quart worth of oil, at least that's how it has been when I top mine off.

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI

I think I've seen others on here say that the difference between min and max on the dipstick is 1 qt.

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
Just to chime in here. I change oil over 5K miles and check it on every tank of gas. Last week or so I filled to just 1/2 tank and oil line was near the top, added just a bit of oil to be safe. Today I checked it and it was at the bottom of the line after only a few hundred miles. I drive on average about 60 miles a day and all highway. So it was fine through about 2,000 miles and then ate through a quart in a few hundred. Seems to happen that way. It's fine, fine, fine, fine, fine.....oh now it's low.

Especially important for us TSI guys as full oil helps the timing chain tensioner work correctly. Low oil is what causes or helps to cause that part to fail.

Point is get in the habit of checking every few hundred miles and change every 5K.