GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI DSG Service Issue - Please Help

swimming gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI w/DSG
I recently took 2017 GTI to get a dsg service as id bought it used at 60k miles and it hadn't ever been serviced.

I used a local mechanic due to price and lack of personal expertise. The DSG kit ModdedEuros sent me contained 6 1L bottles of fluid and when he was finished, 2 were unopened, meaning he used less than 4L of fluid.

Really want to avoid transmission issues as I'm about to tune it. Am I over worrying or do you think it is low on fluid or they didn't do a proper service? Be glad of recommendations and advice from people who know more.

Thanks!

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Somewhere around 4.5L is about the norm.
There's this thread and a few others floating around that cover this.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-dsg-fluid-and-filter-change.344602/page-2

Based on this it's "possible" that it's short. This assumes they left it open long enough to get all the old stuff out. If they didn't you could just as easily assume it was overfilled.
There isn't a dip stick or level sensor to know for sure. The only way to know at this point would be to try another shop.

Or.... DIY it, in which case you could just top fill another 1/2 L~ish and do the overflow part. That is, you assume they did the filter or anything at all correctly. You might even start with warming it up and removing the overflow plug. Maybe they overfilled...somehow. Of course make sure you are following the correct procedure. Level the car, warm the trans.

I would say that if you are getting ready to tune, that it is my opinion, that you should know or be able to do some of this more basic stuff yourself.
Once you tune it you are going to want to accelerate your maintenance schedules anyways. And paying for those services at a shop is going to add up faster than just buying some of the basic hand tools and diy'ing it.
Unless of course you can afford to pay a shop. In which case disregard all of this.

swimming gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI w/DSG
Somewhere around 4.5L is about the norm.
There's this thread and a few others floating around that cover this.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-dsg-fluid-and-filter-change.344602/page-2

Based on this it's "possible" that it's short. This assumes they left it open long enough to get all the old stuff out. If they didn't you could just as easily assume it was overfilled.
There isn't a dip stick or level sensor to know for sure. The only way to know at this point would be to try another shop.

Or.... DIY it, in which case you could just top fill another 1/2 L~ish and do the overflow part. That is, you assume they did the filter or anything at all correctly. You might even start with warming it up and removing the overflow plug. Maybe they overfilled...somehow. Of course make sure you are following the correct procedure. Level the car, warm the trans.

I would say that if you are getting ready to tune, that it is my opinion, that you should know or be able to do some of this more basic stuff yourself.
Once you tune it you are going to want to accelerate your maintenance schedules anyways. And paying for those services at a shop is going to add up faster than just buying some of the basic hand tools and diy'ing it.
Unless of course you can afford to pay a shop. In which case disregard all of this.
Thanks!