GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Good find to solve misfire at idle.

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
Yesterday I got slapped by the dreaded misfire at idle I installed new coils about two months ago. And the plugs are around four months old. The car ran ok under load so I was thinking injector or something other than plugs.

I picked up plugs anyway and what I found when I pulled the plugs everything looked normal until I flipped over one of the plugs and saw the porcelain slide down over the electrode. This could have been catastrophic if let go. So if you have an unsolved misfire at idle. Give the plugs a close look.

Last edited:

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
Here is a picture of the plugs

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418345902165.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418345902165.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 457

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Wow, never saw that before. Good catch.

Goodz

Ready to race!

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
I wonder if I should show the to VW. I feel this was probably a manufacturing defect and god only knows how many plugs are doing this. I highly doubt that load from a stage + could damage a plug.

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
i dont think VW manufactures their plugs, bosch or ngk iirc
One of the two, but in the end Vw uses them in their vehicles so maybe they should be aware. Could also be a fluke. I'm just glad I caught it.

Bevhills03

Fixed the misfire on my gti under acceleration.
It turns out that the new spark plugs were causing it to misfire. So I returned them and upgraded to Bosch double platinum and now it runs like a mean machine!... Never again am I using Autolite iridium xp!