GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Glass Advice Needed

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
Okay, so the place I'm looking to rent a lens from has a Sigma 12-24 f/4.0 to rent out for $35/day. Basically, it would end up costing me about $150 for the week. Guess that's not too bad.

G-Tea-Eye

he brokeded my car
Car(s)
GTI
id agree with most people here. wide angle for temples. low ap for caves. you definetly don't need a zoom lens. Depending on your budget maybe try to rent a macro lens too the yucatan is so lush especially this time of year, you might find some cool bugs, flowers, plants while over there

soze

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Something Else
Okay, so the place I'm looking to rent a lens from has a Sigma 12-24 f/4.0 to rent out for $35/day. Basically, it would end up costing me about $150 for the week. Guess that's not too bad.

Dude, just go find a good deal on a used one, and then sell it after you're done with it.

-jakrbt-

id agree with most people here. wide angle for temples. low ap for caves. you definetly don't need a zoom lens. Depending on your budget maybe try to rent a macro lens too the yucatan is so lush especially this time of year, you might find some cool bugs, flowers, plants while over there

I have a nifty fifty, so that should work okay for that purpose I think.

Dude, just go find a good deal on a used one, and then sell it after you're done with it.

I'm looking to see what I can find. So far I've found a 2nd hand Sigma 10-20 on craigslist for $350, but I'm also trying to conserve a little so we have more cash on hand for our stay. If I do end up buying, though, I'm planning to keep it in my bag. I've been looking for a wide angle for a few months now. Just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

I do have another question, though. Should I be concerned about my SD card and the airport scanners? Any chance the info on my media card will get corrupted/erased?

soze

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Something Else
I do have another question, though. Should I be concerned about my SD card and the airport scanners? Any chance the info on my media card will get corrupted/erased?

If you have a small netbook or something similar... bring that and a portable hard drive. Download your pictures to both nightly during your trip. That's what I do.

You should be bringing multiple SD cards no matter what you do though.

G-Tea-Eye

he brokeded my car
Car(s)
GTI
I have a nifty fifty, so that should work okay for that purpose I think.

I'm looking to see what I can find. So far I've found a 2nd hand Sigma 10-20 on craigslist for $350, but I'm also trying to conserve a little so we have more cash on hand for our stay. If I do end up buying, though, I'm planning to keep it in my bag. I've been looking for a wide angle for a few months now. Just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

no. just flew 4 times in the last 2 weeks. everythings good.

-jakrbt-

Okay, I think I've found my solution. I was informed about LensRentals.com by one of my wife's employee's husband. I think I'm going to end up renting the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 for this trip. For 10 days, insured, it's going to cost me just under $90. I considered the Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-5.6, but I think the fixed aperture Sigma will work out better as a walk-around wide angle.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it. Hopefully I should have some decent images to post after the 1st of August. :thumbsup: