GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

General Car, Inferior or Superior Interior, & Eternal Mullet Barge Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I have to say the new "TL+TSX" is the best looking honda in years. The powertrains are lame, carry over boring 2.4 and lame ass ancient 3.5. At least they are finally getting some decent transmissions.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
This look much better than the test car I drove. Quite an exquisite car. I would buy one in a heart beat. In considering the EAWD model already :)

Gorgeous car from just about every angle.... couple thoughts though....

Looks like a G37.... except in C-pillar window edge. Even the crease on side is almost in identical place. Fog light surround same shape. Same long hood, short deck with a fastback style.... wow.

The front grill is still terrible.

That said, I do like it.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
I have to say the new "TL+TSX" is the best looking honda in years. The powertrains are lame, carry over boring 2.4 and lame ass ancient 3.5. At least they are finally getting some decent transmissions.

THat is unfortunate about the powertrains.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
The TLX is a very attractive car... I was surprised when I saw the photos of it this afternoon.

I haven't been very impressed with Acura or Honda's designs as of late.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
The TLX is a very attractive car... I was surprised when I saw the photos of it this afternoon.

They should call it the Acura Liger.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
looks clean. I suppose eawd is electrical awd

Sport Hybrid. Similar system on the RLX and NSX

Thanks. And yes, the powertrains seem lackluster mostly because 100% of people thinks its only carry over.

There's been a lot done to the driveline, but these engines are only slight place holders. I've driven both and each are excellent. I really wished the 2.4+8DCT was on the SI, talk about an amazing setup. This DCT feels way more refined and in tuned than the DSG. And low speed antics are GONE.

2.4 needs to be turbo'd which could bring it somewhere close to a stage 1 gti in terms of acceleration.

Turbos won't be around until around 2016

When I saw the initial sketches a few years ago, I was hesitant. We just recently had the MDX roll out and while it wasn't a very BIG change, it had a very nice refined appeal to it. To this day, the styling has matured on me and it looks stunning everytime I see them.

This thing, turned out 100 times better than I expected. But furthermore, the value of what Honda is doing, is bringing the enthusiast back to its natural instinctual form........be one with the car. The MDX, as much as most would think, is truly a work of art making a 4300lb vehicle as quick and as light as it is. The RLX feels like a mean machine. While objectively, people look at magazine statistics to ultimately compare vehicles, but that thrill and that enthusiasm stemmed from what we all grew to love about Hondas....the way they drove and connected the driver.

This TLX certainly does that.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Does it wait until the car comes to a stop before downshifting into 1st? That is my biggest gripe with the DSG... if I'm still rolling I don't need to go back to 1st, especially not the way most VAG stuff is geared.

Nope.

And this is where traditionalism gets most. Honda has engineered its DCT with a torque converter to provide linear throttle inputs, without the need for nifty wet clutch packs, oil pressure modulations, or nifty clutch tuning for infinite variables. I don't know the engineering behind it in great detail, its not a traditional TC, but it acts very close to one and at a certain point it "locks up". I'll see if I can find some literature on it, but its Honda being Honda and developing technology that's already out there and making it intuitive and better.

I waited for the DCT to do something out of the ordinary and act like a DSG. I was fortunately surprised when it never did. Smooth all the way, all the time.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I believe there's a clutch on each shaft.

Again, I'll find the literature.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Nope.

And this is where traditionalism gets most. Honda has engineered its DCT with a torque converter to provide linear throttle inputs, without the need for nifty wet clutch packs, oil pressure modulations, or nifty clutch tuning for infinite variables. I don't know the engineering behind it in great detail, its not a traditional TC, but it acts very close to one and at a certain point it "locks up". I'll see if I can find some literature on it, but its Honda being Honda and developing technology that's already out there and making it intuitive and better.

I waited for the DCT to do something out of the ordinary and act like a DSG. I was fortunately surprised when it never did. Smooth all the way, all the time.

That's exactly what Toyota (Lexus) has with the IS. Worked well enough, but the powertrain was still tuned for the layman. That is, it's a halfway step to lure those with sporty aspirations and not scare those without.

butchered by autocorrecr

Status
Not open for further replies.