GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

General attitudes about black wheels? (longish)

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
I personally like the look of black wheels on a car with the right color body. I know there are plenty of you out there who simply don't like black wheels no matter what they're on. This question is therefore directed more towards those that think black looks nice when done right.

I'm considering 18" black wheels with a polished lip on a UG. I've only seen a couple pics of such a set up and have a photoshoped pic of the wheels I'm considering. I do like the look. My only worry is whether its too immature a look for me. Essentially, will I look silly as a mid 20's professional arriving at the office on my black wheels.

Yes, I know there are also plenty out there who will make the statement, which I agree with whole heartedly, that what I think is all that matters, if I like them then get them. Unfortunately, I'll not only be arriving at the office but also going to meet with clients and other business related events with my car, so image and the impression I give out does matter somewhat.

As much as I love the look I'm leaning towards normal silver wheels again because I think I may "need" to. Am I nuts? :confused:

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
im going to be as blunt as possible.

its your car, do what you like to it, its your shit. if YOU think that black wheels are going to look kick ass on UG then more power to you. i think its a GREAT combination.

i think ur fucking nuts, wheel colors arent an immaturity, its a style.

alf

Unfortunately for him, the clients might not share that perspective alf.

If you are trying to convey maturity, professionalism, and class, I would go with regular silver wheels. I LOVE black rims with polished lips, I think its the hottest thing out there...but if you're trying to convey a certain look for your career, the one of a street racer isn't going to cut it. Not saying anyone with black wheels are automatically street racers but lets face it, most people DO judge books by their covers...its just a fact of life.

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
As I said in the OP, Alf, I agree with that sentiment. However, that being said, that doesn't mean I can follow through on it. Different people have different priorities and situations and sometimes they don't align with their ideals.

NoRegrets78 - you kinda hit the hail on the nead there. Though, its not that I want to project professionalism. Its more that I want to be unnoticed when I show up in a suit somewhere for work. I know that black wheels don't necessarily mean street racer, of course, but that doesn't mean 90% of the people I come in contact with do.

Unfortunately, the ones I want are relatively inexpensive and light. Whereas the silvers I would sub are RS4 reps and are heavier and a bit more expensive. I guess I'll deal if I have to.

More input...?

CASHmoney

Drag Racing Champion
I love black with a polished lip. That's what's going on my CW. Looks the best on white and second best on black. I don't like black or gunmetal without the polished lip though. Makes the wheels look dirty. The polished lip defines the wheels edge.
If you trying to portray a conservetive look go with silver. Seems as though you like black so just get black and forget about the image.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Ya got me thinking silver and I don't have clients. Just don't want to be "labeled".

Finnegan

The Drunken Irishman
Personally I highly dislike black wheels. I agree with the statement that they look juvenile and if I was just entering the business world and had an office job there's no way I would have them on my car. If you have to drive clients around I wouldn't have them either.

Oscar

Touring Car Newbie
personally i would be impressed i think a black wheel with a chrome lip is more stylish then it is street racer, if you goin for an all out flat black rim, i think they good as well but can be street racerish,

its all in how its presented were as this car looks very stylish and it flows together well and picking up clients in this wouldnt be a problem.

Now this would be more of a street racer style (not fully but more racey if you know what i mean) i personally love this look suits the car well

Now this car again more of a racey look. And i love this look as well

and this car is very stylish and the clients again would be wow, (sorry not black but close to it)

Thought i would throw some examples in just to let you see but i think a black with a chrome lip is Very nice

Cheers Oscar and GL with your decision.

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the input. Pictures are always helpful. I am only considering polished lip, I simply like it better.

I think what it may come down to isn't even what someone may think, but rather, that with an aftermarket silver wheel, chances are, the only people that will notice are people that are supposed to notice (those who see cars as more than mere transportation). With black, chrome, or anything not the standard silver for that matter, everyone will notice and at least some assumptions go along with that, some positive, some negative.

With silver wheels I think I am less likely to be judged and stereotyped because of the car I'm driving/wheels it has. Chrome and colored wheels may just stand out a bit too much. Hell, half the reason I love the GTI is that its a bit understated...no scoops or garish wings (sti, evo, or even si anyone?), it simply is a more mature car than others. I feel like black wheels, as much as I love them, may ruin that somewhat.

But I'm still open to input...
Keep it coming, and thanks so far!

Sinjin

Rally Car Newbie
UNCbigM, buy the wheels you want. If you want to be professional, buy a good looking suit and be able to speak with the knowledge that your profession expects. I find that is is a matter how you carry yourself that matters in the business world. It does not matter what your car looks like, it is more how you present yourself.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie

If ANYONE holds an opinion that the color of a wheel has ANYTHING to do with maturity, professionalism, or anything else but a subjective opinion, then in my opinion they are close-minded, and ignorant.

Seeing as your car is YOUR car, and as such a personal article used for transportation to and from work, not as a part of your job, you can drive whatever you want and should not, and legally can't, be judged professionally by it.

Will people have opinions, sure they will. Welcome to life. There are just as many people out there who will think les of you because you drive a gas guzzling suv, or have a "baby on board" sticker, or drive a Hyundai, or don't signal when you change lanes, or when you talk on your cell phone, or........well, you get the idea. You can't be responsible for pleasing anyone but yourself.

I didn't choose black wheels for my car because I wanted to be cool, or fit in, or whatever. I chose them for me. Always have, always will. Almost every car i've owned(7 out of 10) has had black wheels. In 1987 my first car, a 1977 Chevy Nova, had black wheels. I like the look obviously.

Personally, I hate chrome, so I have removed it from my car wherever possible(stupid chromed headlight housings). Even some of my closest friends don't like what i've done to my car(s), but they at least respect my choice in the matter. Some people love it, some don't, but most importantly, I like it.

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
My field is a conservative one. I'm liberal enough within it as it is, so I probably shouldn't ruffle more feathers than I have to. When I show up to work with numbers still on the side of my car because I didn't have enough time to take them off after that weekends race/auto-x I'll raise enough eyebrows as it is.

At the moment I'm leaning toward some RS4 reps. I'm deciding betwen those and Flik Hornets. Something else that has begun to influence my decision is the fact that I may be smart to restrict myself to 7.5" wheels to keep myself in a lower classification for SCCA. The Hornets only come in 8" while I can step down to 17" RS4s that are 7.5.

However, I do like the black wheels, and honestly, once the timing is right and I'm ready to step up to an 8" wheel for races I think I'll probably end up with the Flik FTDs like Fuerdog's and end up with them painted/coated black. It would be a great, light, inexpensive, easy to replace track day wheel.

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
And, FWIW, the only other wheel out there that makes me drool within my price range besides the black hornet, is the RS4 rep...Even though its not black, I'm a big fan of it on the GTI.