GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gauges/Instrument Panel Died

Bsherb34

Car(s)
2007 Volkswagen GTI
I did a search but found nothing, even though i know someone will say the issue is on here somewhere. anyways heres what ive got.. hopefully someone could help...

Im in western PA and it gets pretty cold here in the mornings. this morning i got up to go to a fire call ( im a volunteer fireman) and when i started the car, all of my gauges and lights came on and shut right off... so i shut the car off and restarted it. None of the gauges moved, but the TPS light and the others lighted up initially as usual and shut off after about 3 seconds and nothing came on. the info center did not come on, and like i said before i drove it and none of the gauges worked. speedo, tach, fuel, everything was dead. I checked all of the fuses hoping it was something simple and that was not it. all fuses were good and not blown. I read online in a different forum that F17 was for the Instrument Cluster and was supposed to be a 5A... i checked F17 and it was good and a 5A fuse... All of the other stuff works.. headlights, radio, and what not... when i use turn signals they come on outside of the car but nothing on the display, not even the typical "turn signal" noise you hear while its on....

Any ideas or suggestions to troubleshoot? has anyone else had this happen (im sure it has)...

If i need to replace the instrument panel i can find one locally for about $150, but is it something that i need to take to the dealer to get fixed or replaced, or can i do it myself?

it was also suggested by a friend (a chevrolet mechanic) that without looking at it, it might be the computer... he doesnt work on foreign cars and wont touch it....

2007 VW GTi 6SPD Manual 2.0T...

Any time or help would be appreciated! thanks guys!

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Sounds like the panel crapped out. You can swap it but you'll need the SKC. If you don't have it, you need someone who can extract it or go to the dealer to pair it to the car. Could be as simple as a loose wire or connector, but I would say that's less likely. GL

Bsherb34

Car(s)
2007 Volkswagen GTI
loose wire/connector behind the cluster or somewhere along the line that runs to the ecu? i havent pulled it yet but will be soon... pain in tha a$$ or not too bad of a project?

pb4ugoout

Ready to race!
I also have an 07 and I got it with 22k miles on it. About 5k miles after I got it, the MFD started acting flaky. It would blink in an out and it took about another 5k miles before the dealer would do anything about. Ended up replacing the cluster and I haven't had any trouble since. The gauges still worked fine and the other indicator lights were fine. My only trouble was with the red MFD itself. I'm at 75k miles now and haven't had a day of trouble with it since it was replaced. Not sure if that helps or not but it's probably your cluster.

langer

i fix teefs
loose wire/connector behind the cluster or somewhere along the line that runs to the ecu? i havent pulled it yet but will be soon... pain in tha a$$ or not too bad of a project?

Not too bad of a project. More of a pain if it needs replacing.

TCFGLI08

DRIVE/LIVE
Car(s)
2008/VW/GLI

Pulling it... easy two torx screws... pull to unplug, done
Make sure no power going to it first
Plug in might get lucky...if your not me:cry:
Terry

Bsherb34

Car(s)
2007 Volkswagen GTI
Ok so I can find the used clusters for around $100-$150 for the 180mph GTi full screen cluster. A few questions...

1- is it something that I can do myself or do I have to take it to dealer/shop... I typically take mine to a private VW garage that does awesome work for way less than dealer cost. If I have to take it to garage to do it, does it have to be dealership or could it be my garage I deal with?

2- other than not seeing my speed or tach is it alright for me to drive it? It seems like just a cosmetic item, and I can't really go much longer without a vehicle... Am I alright to drive it until I get the funds to get it repaired? With the holidays for the past week, I have not been able to get ahold of any garage/shop/dealership....

Thanks for any help guys! I appreciate it!

langer

i fix teefs
You can replace it easily enough, but you will need to code the immobilizer, otherwise it won't start. Probably easier to have he dealer/shop do the install. I had my immobilizer deleted from the ecu since I've had issues with it.