GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

gas going up to $4.00/gallon!

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
This is the most "spoiled" country in the world. I did 6 years in the Navy and got to see first hand. If we could ever pull off one day of no gas buying it would probably hurt everyone involved even more than the gas prices affect us.
Hmmm, race fuel isn't looking so bad.

bilbos

On the Kop
In the UK in 2000, a consortium of like minded people (mostly farmers) got together in an organised protest and picketed outside of oil refineries.

They did it peacefully and just asked the tanker drivers not to pick up/deliver fuel. It took a few days but it brought the country to a standstill. Gas stations had enormous queues outside of them and eventually ran out because no fresh supplies were being delivered to them.

This was all in reaction to the announcement by the Chancellor of the Exchequer that he was to raise the tax on gas again. I think the price per litre at the time was 85p. It is interesting that no more significant protests have taken place, even though the price per litre is roughly 90p and rising.

I don't think that this sort of action would ever happen over here because everyone loves their vehicles too much and will pay anything to carry on driving.

VDUBB

Rally Car Newbie
bilbos said:
I don't think that this sort of action would ever happen over here because everyone loves their vehicles too much and will pay anything to carry on driving.

Not really,...I went to Europe in 2002. First stop Amsterdam, absolutely loved it there, "for all the right reasons" :cool: . One of them: you don't need a car to live there, everyone rides bicycles and they have an excellent public transportation system as do most of Western Europe. If I lived in a city where I don't need a car to go to work or the grocery store I wouldn't own one. Seriously. But living in Houston, you NEED a car.

bilbos

On the Kop
VDUBB said:
If I lived in a city where I don't need a car to go to work or the grocery store I wouldn't own one. Seriously. But living in Houston, you NEED a car.

Exactly. Because the US is a car-fixated society (the UK is getting there aswell), there is no real alternative for people to get around. From what I have seen of the public transport system in this area, it is virtually non-existent. It is probably a lot different in say, New York, but once you get more "rural", then a car is the only option.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Just curious CRJ, what is aviation fuel going for nowadays? I remember even when gas was about $2.00/gal the aviation fuel was still at least $1.50 more. I bet jet fuel is even worse.

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
bilbos said:
Exactly. Because the US is a car-fixated society (the UK is getting there aswell), there is no real alternative for people to get around. From what I have seen of the public transport system in this area, it is virtually non-existent. It is probably a lot different in say, New York, but once you get more "rural", then a car is the only option.

Everithing is a business in this world, and someone is making a lot of money, they just program us to do what they like, but after all I like Cars and driving, lets enjoy while we can drive with gas¡¡¡¡¡¡ because someday we are not burning the petrol, we will be using it for many other things much more important that to drive you little car around, for that it should be good public transportation, 1 Bus 1 engine 40 people, 1 Hummer same engine 1 stupid.

Ricardo

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
MHS216 said:
Wow!! I can get Summit Racing 101 Octane (USA) for about $4.35/gal right now at the local gas station. I almost did it the other day, but I didn't know if it would mess with my engine since I don't have a 100 Octane program or chip.
Higher octane won't mess a thing up at all. The car will actually run smoother and the repsonse will be a little quicker too.
I run the Trick Racing gas in my 1.8t Audi and my ECU has a 91 Octane K04 program... the higher octane sure wakes things up!
Try it sometime.

thestig

Go Kart Newbie
Buy oil stocks as a hedge against higher pump prices. It's all you can do man. Because it will get worse and it will get there faster than you think.

Parrothead

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
MHS216 said:
Just curious CRJ, what is aviation fuel going for nowadays? I remember even when gas was about $2.00/gal the aviation fuel was still at least $1.50 more. I bet jet fuel is even worse.

100LL avgas is actually more expensive than Jet A

...not exactly sure what the company pays per gallon, but it's not cheap!!