GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel Cuts, not Cam follower related. Log inside, help please

danman132x

Ready to race!
Car started having problems today. Pulled out in first gear across an intersection and just lost power, almost came to standstill. LUCKY there were no cars coming either way for a long distance. Seconds later, it worked again. Driving down the 2 lane road it kept cutting out randomly and would lose a few MPH before it gives gas again. Hard, abrupt cutoffs, no power what-so-ever.

I checked the brake light switch because that gave similar problems before, and even disconnected it a while, but it still did it. Cam follower was checked and is perfect alone with the pump.

I proceeded to drive home on the interstate and it did it a few more times, but was able to get home. It eventually quit doing the problem, but I'm still nervous to take it anywhere until the root cause is found. The car has plenty of power otherwise, doesn't hesitate, unless it was doing the problem. All happened today. This was shortly after going down a really bumpy dirt road also, but I doubt that would make a difference. What could it be?

Edit: 2006 BPY engine

Heres the log:

Address 01: Engine Labels: 06F-907-115-AXX.lbl
Part No SW: 1K0 907 115 B HW: 1K0 907 115 B
Component: 2.0l R4/4V TFSI 0040
Revision: --H10--- Serial number:
Coding: 0403010A18070160
Shop #:
VCID:

2 Faults Found:
008851 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve (N276)
P2293 - 002 - Mechanical Malfunction - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100010
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 6
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 168737 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 12:44:52

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2776 /min
Load: 11.4 %
Speed: 93.0 km/h
Temperature: 92.0*C
Temperature: 44.0*C
Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.081 V

012555 - Low Pressure Fuel regulation
P310B - 004 - Fuel Pressure Outside Specification - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100100
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 7
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 168743 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 12:49:44

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2922 /min
Load: 17.6 %
Speed: 77.0 km/h
Temperature: 92.0*C
Temperature: 45.0*C
Absolute Pres.: 1010.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.335 V

Readiness: 0000 0000

pb4ugoout

Ready to race!
My car didn't throw any codes but was experiencing fuel cuts a few weeks ago. I pulled the fuel pump to check the cam follower and that wasn't the issue. I assumed fuel filter or low pressure fuel pump. I ordered a filter and finally installed it the other day. However, after removing and reinstalling the HPFP to check the cam follower, the problem went away. I would immediately replace your fuel filter unless you know it's been changed recently. If it is somewhat new the I would look into replacing your in tank low pressure fuel pump. I supposed it's also possible that something is also wrong with your HPFP. If the N276 valve is the culprit then I believe you will need a new HPFP. I think it's replaceable but they aren't easy to come by. I don't think I've ever seen one for sale on its own and you'll never find a used one as they have a one time use seal on them.

Last edited:

fastwire

Ready to race!
LPFP usually goes with high summer tems

danman132x

Ready to race!
It's been a good few weeks of 100+ degrees lately. I might order a new HPFP on ebay or so, brand new. I just hope that'll solve the issue. I just took the car on a drive now again and no problems so it hasn't reproduced itself yet. However I have to commute to work 50 miles tomorrow so I might take another car to be safe for now.

I only saw a few posts about the N276 and I see it's on the HPFP and can only be replaced with a new one, but it's difficult so a new pump would be best. At the same time though, what if it's the LPFP. This is the one under the rear seat correct? Not entirely sure. That would be a lot more difficult to replace. I just need the fix to be reliable whatever the problem may be :(

The fuel filter is relatively new, about 20000 miles. Car is at 104K, original HPFP

danman132x

Ready to race!
I ended up buying this listing on ebay.. Looks like a good deal and all OEM parts. It better be the hitachi pump and not that off brand ECS sells. It looks legit though, and has a low pressure sensor and cam follower included in the listing. Think I did the right thing? We'll see

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121707632391

I have to add, I was doing about an hour high speed driving before this started happening. Averaging 90 mph on the interstate. I really really hope it's not the lpfp..

Last edited:

DariusGSA

Car(s)
08 SEAT Leon Cupra
Hey DanMan
It could be a few things but have you tried to log your car to see what data you getting back?
Log blocks 230 (HP Fuel Rail) and 231 (LPFP) on VCDS to give you an indications of what your fuel pressures look like.
Possible causes could be the N276, Fuel Pressure Regulator or LPFP