GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front end MKV squeak - how serious?

Silver89

Passed Driver's Ed
Recently my MKV has begun to squeak from the front, I'm a little confused as to what's causing the squeak though...

It only really happens when I'm driving under say 30mph, more so in traffic or when it's stop start.

Doesn't appear to be the breaks as it happens when I'm not even touching the breaks... unless there's a lot of rust? Even so I drive 350 ish miles a week so I'd presume the rust would've burnt off when breaking?

I don't think it's the suspension as it happens when I'm driving along flat roads? Although if I break it does happen.

I know it's no the fan belt as I put some WD40 on that last week.

Any ideas? The cars (2005 MKV 1.9L TDI) just done over 100,000 miles. Is there anything I should be worried about? Could the suspension collapse when I'm on the motorway and role the car (extreme scenario...).

If no one has any real ideas then it'll be a garage job at the end of the week I think, just hoping it'll cope with the commute for a few more days!

:thanks:

JRutter

old man
Squeaks can come from lots of places. It would help if you could figure out exactly what triggers it - is it constant or does it happen over bumps, etc?

For example, I had a squeak that happened at low speeds over small bumps. I was sure that it was something like sway bar bushings. Turned out it was part of the heat shield rubbing on my exhaust...

Silver89

Passed Driver's Ed
Squeaks can come from lots of places. It would help if you could figure out exactly what triggers it - is it constant or does it happen over bumps, etc?

Well it happens mostly when I'm going at low speed, so like 5mph start and stop in a traffic jam, more when slowing down than speeding up.

Another time is if I'm driving up the ramp in the car park or just going around a roundabout at say 10mph.

Anything over 30mph and it very rarely happens, if it does then it's just a quick squeak.

It's a very high pitched squeak though and today it's developed a second lower squeak so there's a very high pitched squeak and then a lower not so high pitched squeak, people in the car behind could hear the squeak it's that loud...