GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Focus RS will be the new hot hatch?

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Are you getting your info from Ford or pulling it out if you butt?

Sent from my iPhone while on Mars

I think he means it will not have REAL awd, for mk6 golf r for instance, haldex is not a true awd system, it is technically a fwd car when you don't need traction, yet you have awd when you do. Subaru as a real awd.

Otherwise he's trolling

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
focus ST has more claimed HP than a GTI, yet is slower. definitely foresee something similar happening here.

I don't think this will be the case as the new EcoBoost Mustang motor seem to be very strong at the dyno. I know it sounds weird, but VW/Audi is more concentrated on competing within its own brands than others when it posts statistics too. For instance, the GTI/A3 is underrated to create a larger performance gap on paper when compared to the more expensive R/S3. Don't believe me, look at the measured OEM WHP numbers by APR (which is only measured at the front wheels BTW, you can subtract another 3-5% for drivetrain loss at all 4 wheels on the R/S3). GTI measured @ 210WHP/258WTQ (while rated at 210/258HP) @ the crank whereas the R measured 258WHP/272WTQ at only the front wheels (while rated at 292HP/280TQ crank). The R's posted statistics are quite accurate, whereas the GTI is underrated as you can see.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
The only thing I don't like about ford's engine is the amount of torque loss after 3K RPMs. If you look at several stage 1 dynos of the Mustang ecoboost or focus st they all lose about 50 lb/ft per 1k RPMs. The Cobb website has a dyno database you can look at.

This is the trade off with turbo engines.. Big turbo means high RPM staying power, but more spool up delay and poor performance at low RPM. Small turbo means quick spin-up and good low RPM boost but it tails off at high RPMs.

A long overdue technology will fix this: electric super chargers!

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Ford Focus RS price and power figure have been announced: It will start at $35,730 and it will make 345HP/347TQ

I need to go drive one of these when they come out in early 2016, the power and torque vectoring diffs will likely make this thing the hot hatch king (for a little while lol).

This is the trade off with turbo engines.. Big turbo means high RPM staying power, but more spool up delay and poor performance at low RPM. Small turbo means quick spin-up and good low RPM boost but it tails off at high RPMs.

A long overdue technology will fix this: electric super chargers!

Yes, electric supercharger technology will be in nearly every boost car over the next 5-10years but turbo technology has changed a lot in recent years too allowing for faster spool and better topped with current technologies.

Storch

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
23 GTI 40th
focus ST has more claimed HP than a GTI, yet is slower. definitely foresee something similar happening here.

from someone who owns a 14 ST and previously owned a 13 gti, it is in no way slower...

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
It's still a....Ford. I'll never own another. And the interior looks designed by committee. Still I think VW should step up the power levels a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
from someone who owns a 14 ST and previously owned a 13 gti, it is in no way slower...
MK6 GTI in stage 2 form is about as fast as a stock MK7 GTI, your comparison of a MK6 GTI vs FoST isn't really valid on the MK7 boards.

It's still a....Ford. I'll never own another. And the interior looks designed by committee. Still I think VW should step up the power levels a bit.
I agree, but VW really needs to step up how it transmits the power VS the power output itself. LSD's or torque vectoring front/rear diffs (like the RS has) is the only way the R is going to hang with the RS on a road course when you add more power. I'm really hoping the R400 will have a proper AWD system.

Storch

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
23 GTI 40th
MK6 GTI in stage 2 form is about as fast as a stock MK7 GTI, your comparison of a MK6 GTI vs FoST isn't really valid on the MK7 boards.

i mean if you want i can post a video of me walking my friends apr stage 1 mk7...my st is cobb stage 2 + fmic (mountune tuned, not an ots map)

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion

I agree, but VW really needs to step up how it transmits the power VS the power output itself. LSD's or torque vectoring front/rear diffs (like the RS has) is the only way the R is going to hang with the RS on a road course when you add more power. I'm really hoping the R400 will have a proper AWD system.

coming from an apr stage 1 mk6 GTI, i doubt it. in terms of torquiness, it does feel like a stage 1 mk6, but stock mk7 is more in between stage 1 and stock mk6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAS_STIG

Banned

K, I'll let all the unbiased testers that keep getting slower times in the focus st in testing know that. There isn't much in it, but the ST always comes up slightly slower in 1/4 mile tests. When you consider that it claims to have an extra 40 hp over a base mk7... that shouldn't be, even with GTI's weight advantage.

DAS_STIG

Banned
coming from an apr stage 1 mk6 GTI, i doubt it. in terms of torquiness, it does feel like a stage 1 mk6, but stock mk7 is more in between stage 1 and stock mk6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 1/4 mile ET/trap speeds the mk7 is similar to where my 2009 stage 1 was. 09 stage 2 was faster.

Storch

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
23 GTI 40th
K, I'll let all the unbiased testers that keep getting slower times in the focus st in testing know that. There isn't much in it, but the ST always comes up slightly slower in 1/4 mile tests. When you consider that it claims to have an extra 40 hp over a base mk7... that shouldn't be, even with GTI's weight advantage.

k

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
i mean if you want i can post a video of me walking my friends apr stage 1 mk7...my st is cobb stage 2 + fmic (mountune tuned, not an ots map)
Cool story bro, then why don't you keep your ST since its K03 power is so fast? GTI wasn't running right or he couldn't drive if you pulled on it then. Equalize mods and it's a murder case with the GTI owner having to plead guilty to all ten counts. Don't believe me, hit me up if your ever around Philly and I'll show you first hand :D. I was consistently running 0.5-1sec or more faster and had 5MPH+ better trap speeds than three tuned/modded FoST's at the test and tune event at the local strip last week.

Back to the subject pls, Focus RS, which will be a beast and faster than the VW competition lol.