GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Flooded boot & wet rear seats. Mk7 Golf.

lee.gardiner

Car(s)
VW Golf Mk7
Hi. For the past Year I have had intermittent flooding to my boots spare wheel area. In recent weeks this has started to effect my rear seats too, currently sodden and drying out in my bathroom!
I see that there are a few threads regarding this issue, with a great many reasons behind it but there doesn't seem to be a permanent fix for it.
I suspect the vents under the bumper on mine but so far I haven't checked this.
I see other causes can be hatch seals, pipe under the rear hatch handle, and door seals. The rear floors are bone dry, it's just the seats. Headlining is good too with no staining or mould.
I'm not great with fixing & I'm thinking of getting a garage to remove the bumper and inspect those vents for sealant and if they're the cause, to seal or replace them.

Your thoughts, please?
Lee 🙏😕

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Do you park on flat ground or an incline? The boot and rear seat area sounds to be like it could be the vents under the rear bumper as you noted...

You can go to the trunk and pull back the carpet liner on the sides and see the vents right there, you dont actually need to remove any trim.... very easy to access.... have someone spray a hose into the car and see if water comes in....

Did you already check the rubber "pipe" that goes on the truck under the spoiler? Also does your car have a sunroof? Another common leak is front he door speakers but I doubt that's your problem, you would not get the truck wet....

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Yeah the exact same thing happened to me as well, hence my comment... I was looking through the pictures I had but they weren't good, good pics you took!

OP, you don't need to remove trim to pull the carpet back that covers these vents and see if they are leaking or not...

The dealer themselves sealed it with a white silicone sealant, they didn't just swap it in my case...

amsr

Ready to race!
The drivers side vent leaked on mine. Caused water to get into the spare tire area and under the back seat. Also caused mold on the carpet in the spare area and the foam on the bottom of the back seat. I had it fixed and basically all of the stuff in the trunk + the back seat bench replaced.

cspark407

Car(s)
2016 gti
Yeah the exact same thing happened to me as well, hence my comment... I was looking through the pictures I had but they weren't good, good pics you took!

OP, you don't need to remove trim to pull the carpet back that covers these vents and see if they are leaking or not...

The dealer themselves sealed it with a white silicone sealant, they didn't just swap it in my case...
I'm having the same issue. The picture is from the outside of the car with the bumper removed. This is where the vent leads to and theres no hole in the grommet to drain it. So my question is should I be sealing the vent without anywhere for the water to go?

Attachments

• PXL_20230527_153822610.jpg
    PXL_20230527_153822610.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 168

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Doesn’t look like the flaps are the issue on your vents. Water and dirt gets between the rubber seal and the vehicle body. Shouldn’t be there…

Checked my car about 2 years ago. No leaks, however the vent seals seamed a little bit too loose for my liking. Checked the watermarks on my vehicle body to understand where the water is coming from. Decided to
1. Use a roofing tape to seal the vent rubber seals
2. Add a water guidance strip
818683CB-EF0B-4DFD-AE6C-FC1AE8910CD6.jpeg

189E979D-F043-47E3-85AE-1B59C4DCA4EE.jpeg