GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First Call to VW Road Side Assistance...

sola|2a

vdubinmatownhaus
... and they don't have a record of my car, even after providing my rego, VIN number, name etc ... at least now i know there's another person with the same name as me with a GTI too (although he owns a RS)

anyway i was over at a fren's place for dinner. hopped onto the car wanting to head home and tried reversing... heard these squeaking grinding noises coming from the rear... sounded this contact between metal. cant locate what it is as it was pitch dark... the rain didnt help. rather than getting them to come tonite i said i will call tmr to initiate the service request.

not happy :frown: and dun understand what the hell could have happened with a stationary car :iono:

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
That sucks sola, hope it's not serious.
And lets hope VW get their bloody records in order! :thumbdown:

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
We had a similar experience driving back from Adelaide to Canberra recently. Cruising along the highway was fine, but we dropped into Ouyen for some food and in 1st and early in 2nd gear there was a metal/alloy like clunk/grinding sound coming from around one of the wheels, or so it sounded like. Nothing was hanging under the car and once over about 30km/h the noise went away. By the time we got to our next stop it had gone away. Hasn't done it again since. Odd???

All the best getting your car sorted.

sola|2a

vdubinmatownhaus
thanks guys...

We had a similar experience driving back from Adelaide to Canberra recently. Cruising along the highway was fine, but we dropped into Ouyen for some food and in 1st and early in 2nd gear there was a metal/alloy like clunk/grinding sound coming from around one of the wheels, or so it sounded like. Nothing was hanging under the car and once over about 30km/h the noise went away. By the time we got to our next stop it had gone away. Hasn't done it again since. Odd???

All the best getting your car sorted.

yea my first thought was that something probably got stuck to the undercarriage and was being dragged... but nope ... didn't see anything weird. it's likely to be a minor issue probably to do with the handbrake but i didnt want to risk anything.

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
one thing i have had happen that seems kinda similar to what you guys are talking about is getting a small rock stuck in the breaks, it was wedged between the caliper and the disk so when i drove along it made a horrible noise. i was concerned when i first heard it cos it came out of nowhere.. i took it to my local garage and had it fixed whilst i waited. hope your problem is something as simple as that

GTILIN

Banned
Car(s)
Golf GTI 3 Door BM
I've had that problem with a small rock stuck in between the brake pad and rotor on the first day i picked it up.

Shouldn't be anything major.

Forunately I've had a good experience with VW Service.

Just don't drive it any longer until its looked at, as it can cause damage to your pad.

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
damn man hope you get if fixed quick

sola|2a

vdubinmatownhaus
just had the car towed... it will be at the Mascot dealer tomorrow morning. The Roadside Assistance is a great service i reckon... very efficient! and the tow wont cost anything either ...

took tomorrow off work to sort out the issue... hopefully the car's ready for Sat as i am planning an extended drive away from the city with a mate!!

regarding the noise ... it seems like a fair few ppl have also experienced this issue... might be a inherent design 'flaw' of the brakes ?!

Hong Chau

Banned
I've had that problem with a small rock stuck in between the brake pad and rotor on the first day i picked it up.

Shouldn't be anything major.

Forunately I've had a good experience with VW Service.

Just don't drive it any longer until its looked at, as it can cause damage to your pad.

my salesman at my dealership told me about a few cases of rocks being stuck b/w the brake pad and rotor. VW replaced the rotors under warranty.
so shouldn't be a problem getting them sorted.

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
my salesman at my dealership told me about a few cases of rocks being stuck b/w the brake pad and rotor. VW replaced the rotors under warranty.
so shouldn't be a problem getting them sorted.

ahhhhh there is a positive lol you get free rotors :biggrin:

sola|2a

vdubinmatownhaus
Just to let you all know... the problem has been fixed. A stone was found stuck between the rear rotor and the 'backing plate', therefore the noise. All's good now!

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
ahhhh good to hear everything is A ok

ONGIE

Just to let you all know... the problem has been fixed. A stone was found stuck between the rear rotor and the 'backing plate', therefore the noise. All's good now!

Sorted..Good stuff...:smile: :biggrin: :thumbup: :laugh:

THANKS FOR LETTING US KNOW!!!