GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

fathers needed

Jaber

Modero
I play the lotto everytime I go grocery shopping. Never hurts to try right?

One time we got 3 numbers and I was growing a boner as I was like 1...2...3.... FUCK WHERE ARE THE REST OF YOU NUMBERS!!!

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I play the lotto everytime I go grocery shopping. Never hurts to try right?

One time we got 3 numbers and I was growing a boner as I was like 1...2...3.... FUCK WHERE ARE THE REST OF YOU NUMBERS!!!

i dream of that so hard.. the kids arent the problem.. money shortage is the problem. and the cause of all the fights. with the money issue solved, all life gets better.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
:word:

My wife wants two. But I can see us taking more trips, spending time together and enjoying life better with one. And we also have a dog we love to death. So technically that's like two right? :iono:

We had to buy a mini van because of our dogs. One or two kids without dogs only requires a large SUV at most, IMO. We will always have at least one and they will go on family trips with us. Minivan was the only practical choice for our lifestyle

You guys car shopping?

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
My wife makes good money and hordes it thankfully. She reads a story that it takes 250,000 to raise a kid to age 18 and immediately sets up a budget to save that much, which is ridiculous, IMO

We want two kids and have them be close in age. Her sister is also pregnant due in February which will be nice.

Jaber

Modero
Think we'll manage with the GLI/GTI for a while. Wife hates mini vans, so doubt we'll ever own one. She most likely wouldn't even let me get one as a 3rd vehicle.

But I can see us upgrading to a wagon or crossover in the future.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
I was surprised to see that the Rav4 has more cargo space than the sportwagen or any of the Subarus. They were our first choice at compromise until that. Rav4 plus at least one dog and kid and luggage isn't feasible, let alone 2 kids

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
sleep when they sleep, I don't care if you think you can stay up and pull an all nighter, best time to sleep is when baby is sleeping, or in my case babies...

relic1

Passed Driver's Ed
^^^ agreed - all though that's not easy when you have to go to work.

plus we went through almost exactly what DSGVW went through. (early developmental milk allergy)
4 months of hating life in general and sleeping for 2-3 hours per night.
The first time he slept for 6 hours we both felt almost drunk with all the sleep.

one additional thing to think of, family close is the key to sanity.
Without this you begin to hate... mostly due to lack of sleep but also from the lack of being able to get away.
We are isolated with 200+ miles to the nearest relative. It was not easy for the first year. Now that he's 2, things are a lot easier.

To me kids are much like falling in love. You will laugh harder and cry harder than you ever have.
Plus it's the last step of realizing that your parents are smarter than you thought.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
Everyone has their own methodology of dealing with the baby waking up in the middle of the night.....you'll need some kind of system if both of you work.

We simply picked a time in the middle of the night...one or two I don't remember...if the child woke up at 12:59, it was on me. If it was 1:00, it was on her. Our daughter never woke up at a uniform time (and sometimes never, BOOM!) so this system worked fairly.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Everyone has their own methodology of dealing with the baby waking up in the middle of the night.....you'll need some kind of system if both of you work.

We simply picked a time in the middle of the night...one or two I don't remember...if the child woke up at 12:59, it was on me. If it was 1:00, it was on her. Our daughter never woke up at a uniform time (and sometimes never, BOOM!) so this system worked fairly.

yup.. we made that mistake with the first one.. both of us trying to always be awake for it. on the 2nd one we learned that you have to take shifts. even if someone has to go to bed from 6pm-10pm.. otherwise, neither one of you will get any sleep.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
I'm in the minority. They don't ruin you financially. Sure, it costs a lot to feed them, clothe them and give them things but if you manage it well you can still live well. We had two close together and wife stayed home until the youngest was in 1st grade. We may not have had a lot of extra money, but enough to live and drove new cars and still have some extra.

I also think that having a second one close does make it easier, just not when they are babies/toddlers. Ours are 19 months apart and there were times it seemed like twins. But after the diaper stage and becoming more and more self sufficient it makes it way easier now. They always have someone to throw the ball with or whatever. Granted they are both boys, so that helps big time.

Advice? It's very cliche, but time man. It will pass so fast you won't even realize it. Even a colicky baby went by fast despite seemingly making time stand still at times. Also, never be too busy to listen to them or to join them in an activity they want or read to them. It does wonders for them later in life.

Enjoy it as much as you can. It will be difficult, frustrating, exhausting, challenging and above all REWARDING. The unconditional love you will feel for your child is perhaps the greatest happiness you will ever encounter. Even at 10 and 8 I still look at them and smile just because.

Congrats!

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
It's definitely hardest in the beginning. My son just turned 3 and he is almost self sufficient. Just when I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, my daughter is born. It starts all over but I feel more prepared this time. More tired, but more prepared.