GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Experienced track upgrade advice

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
No need... ISC use to have dyno charts on their site. They work and the quality speaks for themselves based on selling them for two years with ZERO damper failure from build quality... The only failure we have seen is ONE from the rear damper not being set right and the shock continually bottoming out until it literally blew the seals.. And ISC warrantied it.... I am probably putting them on my E46 Touring since my Koni's are DOA in back and the ISC's actually feel better on track than any Koni set up I have been on. Feel wise they remind me of a JRZ... And I am somewhat of a snob with suspension bits...

The reason your Koni/GC set up is feeling tired is you are running spring rates that are about the limit of the Koni Damper, which kills the damper in short order from overworking it.. Not to mention the rates you are running are not correct, front to rear, either for a E36 track car, more suited for autocross. For track use with a Koni set up we recommend, front 450, rear 550 or 600, MAX rates you can run safely for track 550 front and 650-700 rear with all dampers set at max hard in back with the 700 pound springs and 3/4 with the 650 rate.

RSS vs ISC the ISC is a better damper... H&R tends to not use great dampers unless you get one of the really expensive units... Not to mention the ISC is compression and rebound adjustable via one knob.. Koni is just rebound only. You can adjust the ISC dampers and actually change the car's handling which you cannot do with a Koni or many other budget coil over kits like H&R, ST, KW, Koni basic kits etc..

Typically you have to be careful how much rate you run on any damper they are only engineered to run X rates and anything higher will wear the internals out fairly fast if you over spring them. As in 1-2 years of track use then they need replacing or a rebuild...

The OP already tracks his 944 he is asking about his CUSTOMERS GTI not his car. A 944 is not a cheap car to track they are more maintainace intensive than an E36 of any model. I worked in a Porsche shop years ago and an older 911 cost less to maintain than a 944. A clutch job on ANY 944 model is a labor nightmare...And a well set up E36 325is is far faster than a 944...

If you would like a ride in a car with ISC's set up properly I will be at Road Atlanta, and VIR a fair amount this year, probably with the E36M3 of my buddies with the ISC set up or my Wagonator. One ride is normally all it takes.. I have taken a few people out and they have all been impressed with the car....these are guys with track cars and instructors...

And maybe a Mk V with them...

Yeah, the fronts at 600 are a bit much, ordered a pair of 450's a while ago and was planning on putting the front 600's on the back. I think the Koni's are tired from those big springs and may just replace it all. What spring rates are supplied with the ISC's? Are the fronts complete struts with sway mount? If they are good $950 is a no brainer.

I thought I read the OP and his friend were contemplating getting into club racing, my suggestion was the GTI probably wasn't the best avenue to get there. For a $2k budget though some fun parts can be found for DE days for the dub. I'd also suggest the Eibach R1's. Single adjustable true monotube shocks handmade in California with linear springs. They are excellent quality and served me well. Folks have posted the newer mk6 Bilsteins also drive and handle really well. For about $1500 you can score a Koni/GC coilover setup with their excellent camber plates. GC by far has the best plates on the market for a MK5 dub.

Some opinions on single adjustable dampers that do both rebound and compression - if you don't plan on straying too far from the supplied spring rates they are fine. I find that yes, they can and do alter handling with higher compression/rebound settings, but if the desire is to eventually run higher rate springs they can work against you. Once you get enough rebound, compression is too high and rather than take a bump, the wheel launches over it, losing traction, so better off with true dual or multi adjustable, obviously another universe of cost. The RSS's aren't adjustable at all and were meant for track duty at their setting. I like Koni yellows at their price point *because* they only adjust rebound, if you want more resistance to roll you run a higher spring (within its limit as you said), turn up the rebound and don't end up with such a bouncy car because the compression stays fixed. My Eibach R1's worked nicely on my mk5, with higher settings on the rear the higher compression settings really helped the car rotate, but I had to stay near the supplied spring rates otherwise too much compression once rebound was dialed in. The Eibach R2's are separate rebound/compression, for a tad more than $2k would be my first choice doing it again.

Lol the time old sentiments from the Beamer guys towards Porsche! I hear it all the time as I run with both crowds. The Porsche guys say the same towards anything else not Porsche, and they dump on anything that isn't a 911. Personally I love both makes, they are great cars. Porsche engineers do love to engineer, so even a basic 944 is not so trivial. A well built spec 944 is as reliable as any E30, which is really the more fair comparison. 968's make very nice track cars. 944 turbos are beast track cars, after having owned one for 7 yrs and completely rebuilding it I'd agree it's too expensive and somewhat finicky if modified from stock. One issue with 944's now is simply age, if you are going to run a 944 it's a good idea to go through everything, or find one that already has. Once there, they are good cars. One thing that is not an issue are all the weak body and suspension mounts the E36 seems to have, obviously fixable but you have to deal with it. Comparisons on speed boil down to $ spent, you can bolt Chevy V8's into all these cars now rather easily! A base 944 isn't going to set track records, but there is lots of club racing support that Volkswagen simply doesn't have.

http://www.944spec.org/944SPEC/

Was looking at maintenance comparisons for e30 vs 944 on Pelican Parts, for brake rotors and parts the 944 is marginally more expensive, and yes the 944 has to have its timing belt done more often, but the 944 starts out as a sports car whereas an e30 has to undergo quite a transformation to be a track car. E30's are bitching cars when set up though, I'm always amazed at the grip they can generate.

Last edited:

miamirice

Ready to race!
For what it's worth-

Ground Control are an excellent group. Custom valving and readily available shops with constant servicing/rebuild experience. They will build you what you want and have a massive grassroots customer base they serve. It's also nice when you can source a needed Koni during a race weekend by popping one out of another car, this set up is all over the place in the Honda world. I just had these 2812's built for my civic for $1300 out the door- 650F/950R:

Ideally you want your spring rates in the middle of you valving. As GGray mentioned, 600 is really at the top of the koni yellow range.

GGray

Ready to race!
Rss damper is very high quality n twin-valve.. I dunno where u get ur info regarding h&r danpers being shitty

N one of the class winning e36 setup is 700# front, 900# rear w/ either stock sway bar or no bar..

No one in any racing, or heavy track use, runs H&R dampers/base coilover kits... I can tell you that in 20+ years of racing/instructing/ track time.. I rarely see anyone using the H&R kits...

LITTLE more involved with E36's than your random blanket statement about spring rates.. Way more involved than that....

FYI... I do the BMW race/performance for a living and do in depth technical support and car set up for people at BimmerWorld...

barische

Go Kart Champion
No one in any racing, or heavy track use, runs H&R dampers/base coilover kits... I can tell you that in 20+ years of racing/instructing/ track time.. I rarely see anyone using the H&R kits...

LITTLE more involved with E36's than your random blanket statement about spring rates.. Way more involved than that....

FYI... I do the BMW race/performance for a living and do in depth technical support and car set up for people at BimmerWorld...

the guy is not racing nor he has $3k to spend on penskes... he has a limited budget so we all suggested H&R RSS which is a great buy for $1100.. Do you have stocks with ISC or something. multiple people mentioned to not buy taiwanese crap dampers..

It is amazing how you talked shit about Ground control, Koni, H&R, who is next? Bilstein and KW...

barische

Go Kart Champion

GGray

Ready to race!
the guy is not racing nor he has $3k to spend on penskes... he has a limited budget so we all suggested H&R RSS which is a great buy for $1100.. Do you have stocks with ISC or something. multiple people mentioned to not buy taiwanese crap dampers..

It is amazing how you talked shit about Ground control, Koni, H&R, who is next? Bilstein and KW...

Really...

So how much actual experience do you have... Based on your random comments my guess is fairly limited to what you read, or the small amount of work on a few cars you have had...

I am not pulling crap out of my anus... What I post is from years, as in 30+, of working on German cars BMW, Porsche, VW GTi's, building track/race cars, and maintenance work from doing it daily while I worked in a shop, or worked in my own shop, including currently selling JRZ, MCS, Bilstein, Koni, and ISC DAILY.. And ALL the associated track and race parts you can imagine, suspension, brakes, bushings race seats, safety gear anything for a track or race car...

Unfortunately in the real track/race world.. Everything I have posted is true. I get customers who move from H&R coilovers, KW, and Ground control, to better equipment. The KW REAL race suspensions cost as much as JRZ, MCS, and Ohlins which are in the 4-7k range JUST for the dampers...

He has 2k not 3k to spend... far better to spend the money wisely and not JUST slap a set of coilovers on...

If a customer calls me and says.. "i want to spend 2k on all the mods to go to the track" or says "I want to spend 2k on JUST a coilover set up" The answer I give is vastly different. The go to set up for the second request is Ground Control... The first one I normally give them the option of H&R race springs and Bilstien sports, or ISC, and explain both to them so they can make an educated decision based on the information...

I have professional shops calling that I help daily with car set up and parts selection so before you blabber on any more about anything I post make dam sure you can back it up with facts not random comments without any experience to back it up...

I typically enjoy helping people make the right decision so they don't spend money twice... And I enjoy forum interaction minus the BS that tends to fly rampant with experts without any experience, or with very little.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Let's keep it civil - I highly respect the work Bimmerworld does, and so do the drivers of cars that get beaten by them!

GGray

Ready to race!
Let's keep it civil - I highly respect the work Bimmerworld does, and so do the drivers of cars that get beaten by them!

I agree. lets stay on topic:thumbsup:

Apologize for the rant.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Back to the question:

The budget for mods is $2,000 for this year. Maintenance is already covered.

my .02:

$1500 for GC/Koni coilovers, with their 485/375 track/street setup and their camber plates
Front and rear APR/Hotchkis sway bars
Replace the front control arm bushings with powerflex
Replace rear control blade bushings with powerflex

That will be about $2k, car will go respectably fast given some driving skills.

Settings: set ride height 14" front, 13.5" rear, wheel center to fender lip. Set front camber to -2.5, rear leave stock, set toe to factory. Set front bar to full soft, rear to middle. Start there, see how it feels. You'll want factory toe to start until you get used to the upgrades, then get a little more aggressive. The Koni's will want to be around 1.5 turns from full soft with those springs, again test. Too much rebound will feel bad as the car will compress and won't release quickly enough, and will feel strange. There will be a sweet spot where it will feel right.

Next round of upgrades will be an LSD (no worries, if you need further guidance on the slippery slope of pouring money in the GTI, I'm your guy).

Oops track tires, hopefully you already have them!

KerryChadderton

Car(s)
08 MKV GTI
Thanks so much everyone!

I got busy at the shop but now I'm back. The customer has forwarded the dinero and the car arrives next Saturday. I'm on the fence with the coilover setup. I've sent inquiries to all parties/players and whoever gets the answers right wins!

Coilover setup, Hotchkiss Bars, Powerflex Bushings and a tune-up come in at $2,450. That is NOT bad at all! I spent $2,900 just getting the 944 feasible for the track, no suspension mods!

BTW, all that was said on the 944 is spot on. Timing belt weakness, $350 water pump, etc... all true. But for a 30 year old car it is so well balanced on a completely stock suspension. Truly one of the great momentum cars!

Nocats

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks so much everyone!

I got busy at the shop but now I'm back. The customer has forwarded the dinero and the car arrives next Saturday. I'm on the fence with the coilover setup. I've sent inquiries to all parties/players and whoever gets the answers right wins!

Coilover setup, Hotchkiss Bars, Powerflex Bushings and a tune-up come in at $2,450. That is NOT bad at all! I spent $2,900 just getting the 944 feasible for the track, no suspension mods!

BTW, all that was said on the 944 is spot on. Timing belt weakness, $350 water pump, etc... all true. But for a 30 year old car it is so well balanced on a completely stock suspension. Truly one of the great momentum cars!

For the coilovers, look at BC Racing. They are not the best ones out there, but they are $1,000, have good spring rates for a GTI, rears can be adjusted while on the car (adjusters are on the side, rather then on top) and come with camber plates. I am very satisfied with them based on the price to quality ratio.

Also, if you are getting Hotchkiss bars, I think they are listed at $200 a piece on tirerack, which is the cheapest price I found them at.

Good luck.

miamirice

Ready to race!
I will sell my PAIR of Hotckis for $200+shipping. New, never installed. PM if interested. Can send photos.