GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EXPERIENCE: DP no tune and CEL FREE

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've had the Neuspeed CEL Free downpipe for over 4 years... expensive, but never had a CEL based on downpipe.

As long as when you scan your car it shows the "readiness" state is okay and you don't have to pass an actual smog test you won't have to change it.

Sanchez

Car(s)
2016 vw gti
I live in Florida so I dont gotta worry about emissions. I asked a local shop that mainly works on VW’s. I asked about installing a DP and O2 sensor would avoid CEL. They literally said “We can install the downpipe and the o2 spacer but i cant garantee no cel. Its possible but that is just not the way to do it.” Dont know what that means? I guess there’s still a chance of CEL...
They charge 150$ for the install. Is that a good price? I trust this shop as they get all the VW’s down here in South FL
Im down here too which shop are you talking about?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I've been running a catless downpipe on my non tuned MK7 for over 2 years with a Vibrant J spacer, middle insert and have had no check engine lights the entire time. I refused to pay 300+ dollars for a metal tube, so I have been running the catless $90 eBay downpipe. Now that I paired the downpipe with a catback and the car sounds meaner, I'm gonna go stage 2 to have performance to match the sound.

Sanchez

Car(s)
2016 vw gti
I've been running a catless downpipe on my non tuned MK7 for over 2 years with a Vibrant J spacer, middle insert and have had no check engine lights the entire time. I refused to pay 300+ dollars for a metal tube, so I have been running the catless $90 eBay downpipe. Now that I paired the downpipe with a catback and the car sounds meaner, I'm gonna go stage 2 to have performance to match the sound.
Great to know do you mind tell which DP and the position of the spacer?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Great to know do you mind tell which DP and the position of the spacer?

This is the downpipe I bought. I had it welded into 1 piece for 20 bucks. I also had to do some pretty severe adjusting of the hangers by cutting them off and having them re welded in the proper positions. If you are handy in the garage or have a buddy that can weld them for you, have at it. Otherwise I would go with the Megan Racing Downpipe. Perfect fitment, great quality, larger flex region, comes as 1 piece, and looks a lot better. The extra hundred bucks gets you a lot for your money. Honestly if I were to do it again, I would get the megan racing.

As far as spacers go, I started with these from amazon, no dice. Got a check engine light no matter what configuration I used, and they are a bitch to get off since they dont even have a proper hex nut. Then I tried one of these mini cat spacers as I have seen a lot of people use them, but I still got a CEL. Finally, I went with the vibrant J spacer and it worked like a charm, just as it has done for many others on here. Mine is running the middle sized insert and the J portion is facing back up the exhaust toward the turbo. Haven't had any CELs since installing, and the quality is outstanding.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Whats up guys. Reviving this thread real quick. Today I got a CEL for the first time after 2k miles. What should I do? I dont want a tune. Ive heard stories where ppl have it go away n that CEL would come up once in a blue moon. Car runs fine. Any info helps thanks

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Whats up guys. Reviving this thread real quick. Today I got a CEL for the first time after 2k miles. What should I do? I dont want a tune. Ive heard stories where ppl have it go away n that CEL would come up once in a blue moon. Car runs fine. Any info helps thanks

Just keep deleting the code is what I would do.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Would it be recommended to get OBD11 to do this? How would you do this? I dont have OBD11 maybe thats something I can use?

Get a code reader that clears VW codes. Or have Autozone clear it for you.

I get the code: "DCT definitions not found" or something to that effect every once in a while. I checked the engine and it's still there.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Would it be recommended to get OBD11 to do this? How would you do this? I dont have OBD11 maybe thats something I can use?

You can get an OBD2 dongle from Amazon and the Torque app for your phone to read and clear codes and log, choose different gauges etc for $20.

Twixty

Car(s)
2016 VW GTI Autobahn
Yes!

I ended up having a local muffler shop cut a piece of the 034 res delete and welded one side of the res. n clamped the other side to the high flow cat. So whenever I want I can just cut the vibrant res off and weld the pipe that was originally the 034 res delete. Did this incase I ever wanna sell these two pieces.

CTS DP w/ HF CAT, Vibrant 1792 paired with 034 res delete, and CSS muffler (also have the 42DD O2 sensor installed)

Got about 600 miles already with this setup and no CEL !!! I was skeptical about getting a DP on a stock tune but it was definitely worth it especially the improvement in sound. My exhaust setup is exactly what I was looking for! Now I'm looking into some tires maybe some Firehawk Indy 500s. Best bang for your buck from what I've read
Hey man I recently just got the CTS Turbo VW MK7 GTI 3″ Turbo Back Exhaust High-Flow Cat, not sure if you still have the same downpipe.. but if you do, can you provide a picture if possible where the O2 Spacer is and how its oriented? I got a CEL 3 days after installing the system.