GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EVs or This?

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Hot rods are cool, for sure, but super impractical. They can’t brake and turn all that well, in general, and often are just for show, or maybe 1/4 mile. Strange to say it but I think I’d take an EV.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I have a friend with a kit 427 Cobra with a 427 Chevy. He easily outran and outcornered me. I was going to buy it, but I would have needed to convert it to automatic and have a convertible top fabricated and HVAC installed. If his price was a little better, I would have. Great summer weekend car, but I wanted to be able to drive it anytime.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I love Cobras, and have always wanted one. That’s the better question, would you rather have a kit car or an EV? For a daily driver? I’d go for an EV. For a fun car? A kit car, of course. I didn’t see what trans you can get but I’m sure you could find one or build one with an automatic trans. https://www.factoryfive.com/order-a-kit/mk4-roadster-complete-kit/

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I love Cobras, and have always wanted one. That’s the better question, would you rather have a kit car or an EV? For a daily driver? I’d go for an EV. For a fun car? A kit car, of course. I didn’t see what trans you can get but I’m sure you could find one or build one with an automatic trans. https://www.factoryfive.com/order-a-kit/mk4-roadster-complete-kit/

I emailed them and they don't offer an automatic setup. Strange, since Carroll Shelby himself drove automatic Cobras. I found a website that lists used Cobras. There was one or two but they weren't ones I would consider.

Completely off subject, my brother took me with him to pick up his new Mustang long before I could even drive. They had a new mid-60's Cobra. Probably a 289, it was $7,000. They also had a new Corvette. I didn't know what engine it had, but it stickered for about $5200. I always was a car person.

Last edited:

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I emailed them and they don't offer an automatic setup. Strange, since Carroll Shelby himself drove automatic Cobras. I found a website that lists used Cobras. There was one or two but they weren't ones I would consider.

Completely off subject, my brother took me with him to pick up his new Mustang long before I could even drive. They had a new mid-60's Cobra. Probably a 289, it was $7,000. They also had a new Corvette. I didn't know what engine it had, but it stickered for about $5200. I always was a car person.

I was thinking that you could just source your own drivetrain, but it might be some extra work. It’s a kit, after all. I‘m sure there’s a way but maybe a different kit or spend more money.

I remember seeing an ‘83 Mustang as a young kid in North Dakota and thinking that I liked it, not having noticed cars before. After that, I started to like different cool cars. It took me a long time, but after high school I worked 2 jobs and bought a ‘89 Mustang LX 5.0 with a manual. Funny that we were both impacted by a Mustang as kids, lol.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I grew up in a big city (unfortunately). I could not get my own insurance (too young) and needed to be on my mother's policy. There were sooo many cars I wanted to buy, but GEICO refused to insure them. All of the cars used. A '66 Chevelle 396. Not a Super Sport, just a plain Malibu, with Powerglide, PS and PB, bench seats. Even had the original wheel covers and quiet exhaust. Never saw one, or even a mention any were built like that. I looked it over and it wasn't one someone just threw the engine into. The price was very reasonable. GEICO said no. Then the brother of a friend with a lot more money than I had was selling his 426 Hemi Cuda, with A/C, PS, PB, 4-speed. That one broke my heart. :) No garage to keep it in until I was older. What was my first car? A 6-cylinder Nova, three on the column with zero options. :( Then I met my wife. A year after we married, I turned 25. Now insurance was reasonable. They were major criteria for reasonably priced insurance then, no tickets/accidents for the last 3 years, 25, and married. Bought a bunch of so-called muscle cars, which are now a joke considering the fastest one I owned did 60 in a slow 6.5s. I'm spoiled now, anything I buy now needs to be AWD and at least as fast as my R. I plan to keep my '16 for about 4 more years. Maybe VW will build a nice hybrid R with 500HP.