GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EVO 9 Intercooler

wizzo

Ready to race!
My friend changed his intercooler on his evo 9, he said i could have the stock one for free if i could fit it? Would it be possible guys? maybe with some custom brackets and piping, or would it just be useless :)

AdvanSuper

Banned
Yeah mount if in front of your bumper.

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
My friend changed his intercooler on his evo 9, he said i could have the stock one for free if i could fit it? Would it be possible guys? maybe with some custom brackets and piping, or would it just be useless :)

yes it will fit you will just need custom piping.

20GLI08

Put em on the glass
Car(s)
GLI
If its free give it a shot. Worst that happen is you can't get it to fit properly.
2' pieces of mandrel bent 2.5-3" aluminum piping (45*, 90* & 180* bends) go for about $16. 2' straight pieces are @ the same price. 2' piece of coupler hose runs about $40 and clamps are @ $2.50ea

JoeyDaBomb

Go Kart Champion
Could you...yes

Should you...no

Don't the outlets on the shoot downward or inward? You'd be much better off just buying a universal intercooler with slots for mounting and all.

wizzo

Ready to race!
You think the intercooler would be a good improvement over stock or s3? or not really? Dont know much about the stock evo 9 intercooler :)

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
You think the intercooler would be a good improvement over stock or s3? or not really? Dont know much about the stock evo 9 intercooler :)

Any intercooler is literally better than stock... Most Evo intercoolers max out at around 350hp anyway.. I say do it, just get the piping, worse case a little trimming of the bumper.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
In for the hacking of bumper and pics to prove it was done

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
DOO ITTTT! be a trend setter...ship it to me ill give it a go, but you gotta ship it fo' free! lmao

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
Not To shoot down your idea as probably can be done with a lot of modification done to the bumper and bumper cover in order for it to fit properly.

One thing to consider is the dimensions of intercooler 24.5"x11.5"x2.75" The height is too tall, so chopping and gusseting of bumper will be required.

Link to dimensions
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/187042-intercooler.html

Next is the intercooler intank design. The Inlet and oulet of the IC curve down and with the little space we have up front on the MKV’s, It probably will be hard to fabricate charge piping that fits without interfering with any other body parts.

There are some great kits from BSH and Forge, but If you truly want to do a custom intercooler setup for your car, PM me. I can give some link to good Intercoolers that will fit and work great for your application.

Chris@RT

Banned
Any intercooler is literally better than stock...

Not really true, the stock intercooler in these cars is quite good.

The surface area is amazing and they flow well. The only real advantage one would see with an evo intercooler would possibly be putting it in front of the condensor instead of between it and the radiator.

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
Not really true, the stock intercooler in these cars is quite good.

The surface area is amazing and they flow well. The only real advantage one would see with an evo intercooler would possibly be putting it in front of the condensor instead of between it and the radiator.

So Chris 2 good pulls in 90 degree weather makes the stock intercooler amazing?? Trust me i've owned my A3 for 5 years now and it's shitty, especially with a stage 2 tune!

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
TMS makes a great point, there are other cores available to make it happen without having to go through the headaches, can the EVO core be done.. sure why not. I had to do a shit load of trimming to make my precision core fit, but it was well worth it!