GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I'll get a log.

Well... there's a surge in acceleration at low throttle that coincides with a change in intake sound so....
Typically when we talk "low throttle", we are talking about throttle values under normal acceleration and under light loads. (TPS<30%) Like my datalog here on some hilly backroads. As you can see under low throttle you never go into boost

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I'll get a log.

Well... there's a surge in acceleration at low throttle that coincides with a change in intake sound so....

Its normal to hear turbo spool sounds while at low throttle. The ECU is keeping the DV open to allow the turbo to spool and then shuts it when you're actually pressing the throttle enough to request enough torque/boost.

-- Ed

snowmon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI S
I'll get a log.

Strange, I just flashed my car today from Unitronic to EQT stage 2 and it's doing the same thing as yours. Throttle delay at low RPM then bam! all of a sudden the car accelerates fast like it's trying to make up for the delay. Maybe we need to give it more gas like the posts above suggested? I don't know, like I said I come from Unitronic stage 2 and light gas at the pedal would accelerate right away, slower than EQT for sure but immediately

JettiGLI

Go Kart Newbie
Strange, I just flashed my car today from Unitronic to EQT stage 2 and it's doing the same thing as yours. Throttle delay at low RPM then bam! all of a sudden the car accelerates fast like it's trying to make up for the delay. Maybe we need to give it more gas like the posts above suggested? I don't know, like I said I come from Unitronic stage 2 and light gas at the pedal would accelerate right away, slower than EQT for sure but immediately
Without logs or data, perception is not conclusive. Just conjectures.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
At one point eqt released an update and everyone complained that the throttle was too snappy and not smooth or able to be modulated well. What I have noticed on my new tune is that everything about the power delivery is very linear. Drive it with your big toe and it’s butter smooth. Mash it with your whole foot and it only gets faster with rpm.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
At one point eqt released an update and everyone complained that the throttle was too snappy and not smooth or able to be modulated well. What I have noticed on my new tune is that everything about the power delivery is very linear. Drive it with your big toe and it’s butter smooth. Mash it with your whole foot and it only gets faster with rpm.
You're running a custom tune though.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
That weird DV behavior existed on my stage 2 OTS tune even after the upgraded version that supposedly fixed it and it is still present on my is38 custom tune. EQT's position has basically been, "we try our best to make it not happen, but it's an inherant issue to small turbos. The solution is to downshift or apply more throttle."

Last edited:

snowmon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI S
That weird DV behavior existed on my stage 2 OTS tune even after the upgraded version that supposedly fixed it and it is still present on my is38 custom tune. EQT's position has basically been, "we try our best to make it not happen, but it's an inherant issue to small turbos. The solution is to downshift or apply more throttle."
So I decided to try flashing it back to "Stage 0" on EQT's maps which puts the car back to factory ECU settings and the car now feels normal again with no throttle delay at low RPM followed by surge in acceleration. I will try to flash it back to stage 2 - 93 octane - upgraded HPFP map again and report back to see if I'm still having that same issue. BTW how long you've been with EQT maps? Are you still having that issue with stage 3 custom tune?

snowmon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI S
Never had an issue. Was stage 2 and now custom.
It might be a coincidence since I flashed to EQT, but CEL keeps coming back even after I clear it. Error code is "P0420/3A44 - catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1." Do you have any experience on this topic? I have a 2019 GTI S manual(3" downpipe, 1 step colder spark plugs, FMIC, Autotech HPFP, EQT stage 2 tune) and I've not had this error code before I thought stage 2 tune was supposed to clear that code

snowmon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI S
newer cobb software no longer allows them to hide the CEL for emissions-related codes. p0420 is the code you get for a "high flow" cat.
Thanks, at least I know nothing is broken in my car. I know you don't have GTI but do you recommend that I get an O2 sensor spacer? or how to go about tackling this problem? sorry I come from Unitronic tune and am new to EQT

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I would recommend a better cat (GESI sport, comes in a few off the shelf DPs like AMS/MAP) or a different tune. I've heard of enough o2 spacers failing/killing sensors that I wouldn't want to mess with one, personally. Even when they work, it can be hit or miss. If you really want one, make sure it's angled such that condensation won't pool on the sensor.