GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine skipping

fd2black

Karma Police
Car(s)
2008 GTI 2dr
Hey all. I know there is probably a million threads like this. But every case is different. Here's the story

So a few of days ago I was on the highway and noticed around 75-80 mph the car had a slight skip. It felt like a slight hesitation. Now I am not sure if this is a misfire or not, and I am not 100% sure how to tell. I had a misfire on my last car and it sounded horrible! This didn't sound anything like that.

Yesterday, I installed a stage 1 APR carbonio intake. The car also has a stage 1 apr tune. It felt fine yesterday after I installed the intake. However, today on my way home from work, the car had a serious 'skip.' From a stop, I gave the car a good amount of gas, once the boost came on it felt like the car skipped a bit. That's the best way to describe it. It was fairly loud to. It did it a few times when climbing through the revs. The car was definitely hesitating after the 'skip' too.

The car is a 2008 GTI with the TSI engine, 57k miles, DSG. I bought the car at 55k so I don't know if the coils and plugs are original or not. There is also no CEL, so I don't have anything to read. Could it be a problem with the DSG?

Can anyone help me out on this one? I am new to the VW world, and new to the turbo world. Thanks guys!

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
If the skip is present when under boost...then possibly the coils are fading out. This situation will not give a cel other than misfires. It is less likely that you need plugs if they are oem plugs, but there was an issue with some of the ngk type oem plugs and VW went back to bosch type.

Your situation sounds more likely to be fuel system hardware related or due to intake valve carbon build-up. If you can have the dtc reports read....it would likely help.

fd2black

Karma Police
Car(s)
2008 GTI 2dr
Thanks for the help. I ran the diagnositic tool from the android torque app and it's not pulling any CELs but it does say that there are issues with the one of the o2 sensors. Would that cause the hesitsion? Here's what I pulled from the app.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

michail77

Go Kart Champion
If the skip is present when under boost...then possibly the coils are fading out. This situation will not give a cel other than misfires. It is less likely that you need plugs if they are oem plugs, but there was an issue with some of the ngk type oem plugs and VW went back to bosch type.

Your situation sounds more likely to be fuel system hardware related or due to intake valve carbon build-up. If you can have the dtc reports read....it would likely help.

Isn't the NGK plugs what they use now?

michail77

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the help. I ran the diagnositic tool from the android torque app and it's not pulling any CELs but it does say that there are issues with the one of the o2 sensors. Would that cause the hesitsion? Here's what I pulled from the app.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I wouldn't think so. A coil issue would be my first thought.

djunited

Ready to race!
Is it anything like this?

fd2black

Karma Police
Car(s)
2008 GTI 2dr
I'll have to try and get a video. It doesn't sound like that. It kind of feels like a fuel cut because the car hesitates. It's not smooth at all when it skips. The car has the CPO warranty on it still, so I think I am just going to bring it to the dealer at this point.

fd2black

Karma Police
Car(s)
2008 GTI 2dr
Bad coils feel like the car momentarily stops running. But in a machine gun/stuttering kind of way.

That is exactly what I am feeling!
Now do you think I should just take it upon myself and get a set of R8 coils? Or just bring it to the dealer and have them replace whichever one is going bad?
I feel like the dealer wouldn't replace all of them under warranty.

fd2black

Karma Police
Car(s)
2008 GTI 2dr
Sorry for the double post. But could the Carbonio stage 1 have any affect on what I am experiencing? I went back and checked all the connections and everything was nice and secure. Should I put the stock back on? Just trying to cover my grounds.

michail77

Go Kart Champion
That is exactly what I am feeling!
Now do you think I should just take it upon myself and get a set of R8 coils? Or just bring it to the dealer and have them replace whichever one is going bad?
I feel like the dealer wouldn't replace all of them under warranty.

Free is best! They may find some other things to do under warranty too so it's not a bad idea. Just tell them it skips and you think it's the coils. VW usually has extended coverage on them too.

No, the Carbonio won't cause any problems like that. A stage 1 flash may make the problem seem worse because there is less tolerance for problems on a flashed car. The factory software allows for suboptimal maintenance and conditions.

That's why we have to keep on top maintenance items like plugs, coils, cam followers, etc.

fd2black

Karma Police
Car(s)
2008 GTI 2dr
Free is best! They may find some other things to do under warranty too so it's not a bad idea. Just tell them it skips and you think it's the coils. VW usually has extended coverage on them too.

No, the Carbonio won't cause any problems like that. A stage 1 flash may make the problem seem worse because there is less tolerance for problems on a flashed car. The factory software allows for suboptimal maintenance and conditions.

That's why we have to keep on top maintenance items like plugs, coils, cam followers, etc.

Thanks again. I actually found somebody near me who is going to vagcom it tonight and try and read the misfires. I didn't want to go to the dealer because if it was only a coil they would have charge me the $50 deductible. I'd rather just change the coil myself and spend less than half of that.

michail77

Go Kart Champion
There was a recall on the original coils. I'm not sure what it is but it might be 100% covered for all of them by the dealer. At their age and mileage you should get all 4 done. If no warranty it should be about $80-$90 and is an easy DIY.

Also, they often don't throw codes when they misfire. Which would make it hard to pinpoint the bad one(s).