GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine 'Break in period'

vwr2010

APR Tuned
Hi All,

:thumbup:Ordered a golf R, comes in couple months.. just have a question for the people who purchased there golfs new.. should i wait till the break in period (2,000kms) is over before tuning or would it be safe to do it straight away ?

Drove the base model golf r and was unbelievable ! def recommend people at least test drive it if not buying. :thumbsup:

AL.

jesse085

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah you shouldn't chip it before 2000kms.. in terms of how you want to break the engine in, driving it soft or hard is up to you. Lots of debate on the forums about it.

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
It's 2010 not 1970.
Just drive it don't baby it and re-flash it when when you want to re-flash the software ....I had less than 1000 km on mine and it's just fine.
The engine and drive train will however not fully loosen up for a few thousand kms so don't expect the World on Day One.
Try and take a dyno before, after and then in a few thousand clicks as it will provide a graphical record what the arsebone dyno is probably telling you.

Dingah

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Only golden rule is make sure it's warmed up before you do whatever you do to break it in.

Booba

Ready to race!
I flashed mine with under 100kms on the clock. broke the dv at about 900km.. still going strong now with stage 2+ and over 50,000km. only one busted dv and other non mechanical related warranty repair.

Only golden rule is make sure it's warmed up before you do whatever you do to break it in.

vwr2010

APR Tuned
thanks guys, yeah i normally warm up my pirelli even before i even get out the driveway let alone thrashing it so will def do the same with the R.. only worry i had was something snapping due to break in n going hard from day 1 but as mentioned above its 2010 so i expect quality...

thanks again.

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
The driveway/garage warm up is also a relic of the past from days of carbies and chokes. The best and most efficient way to warm her up is to get in and drive normally, albeit don't hammer her until transmission etc warmed through. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Dingah

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
The driveway/garage warm up is also a relic of the past from days of carbies and chokes. The best and most efficient way to warm her up is to get in and drive normally, albeit don't hammer her until transmission etc warmed through. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Dingah

Agreed. This is RTFM area - you'll note it says you DO NOT need to warm up before taking off. Just need to warm up before giving it a good fanging/breaking in (i.e. drive sedately for 10-15mins minimum first to get oil temps up to normal)