GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS Hatch Pop Kit (updated version)

ClarkThaShark

First let me apologize for any mistakes as this is my first time creating a thread, but I wanted to start a new one because most of the ECS hatch pop threads are dated.

To keep it short I just bought a 2011 platinum grey MKVI TDI. As this is my first "you got out of college, got a job, and bought a used german car," I am extreamly excited about modifying my TDI and make it my own.

The first think I choose to do was buy the ECS Hatch Pop Kit. I feel like I've read over 20 threads related to the kit from tdiclub to vwvortex and agree that it is super easy to install. My problem was that when I first hit the open button, the rear lid opened rather quickly and the last 6 inches of travel were unsurpassed by the strut causing it to stop very abruptly. This is not only loud but sends a noticeable shake through the car. I posted a video of this to youtube (see below link).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFWoUscMxXs&feature=youtu.be

This opening sequence is nothing like video links that other’s have posted about their ECS Pop Hatch kits like the one below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cRD2w863as

I thought I had done something wrong but after watching the install videos again and reading the .pdf instruction I email ECS and got the following:

"We now use a stiffer/stronger hatch strut in the rear. In the past they would not pop open all of the time, especially in the cold. We found struts that handle this a lot better. Unfortunately it seems they are giving you the issue that you are experiencing.”

Unfortunately another issue caused by these stiffer/stronger struts is how much heavier the hatch now is. I not out of shape but it really takes two hands to close it all the way.

I do want to say that ECS has been very helpful and responded quickly to my inquiries by both e-mail and phone, but this personally is just not be the right kit for me.

Shwizzle

Ready to race!
I don't see the point of this mod truly. I mean I guess if I was grocery shopping and didn't have a hand to open the hatch but in my case that would be never. Good luck with your solution and post up final results for others

james9120

Go Kart Champion
Yeah same issue here. But trust me, I only had one of the strut installed and there were plenty of times in the winter I could not get into the hatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I don't see the point of this mod truly. I mean I guess if I was grocery shopping and didn't have a hand to open the hatch but in my case that would be never. Good luck with your solution and post up final results for others

It's a convenience feature, just like keyless entry. You just don't know the struggle until you have to drive or ride in a car that has manual door locks. :fighting0030:

Shwizzle

Ready to race!
Oh I kno that feeling my 02 f350 has manual lock and windows...how u think I got these big guns lol

ZiggyMKVI

Ready to race!
I have this on my car and i love it its so nice to be able to open on the fly. and its funny when someone opens it like normal and they get pushed back lol

eldiablo1

Ready to race!
I tried a couple of these kits from different suppliers. None of them were worth it in my estimation. Reduced height of opened hatch, harder to close, non-functional in colder temps... not worth the trade-off as a labor saving device.

ThatGTI

Go Kart Champion
I miss having this mod, but having to use a lot more force to shut the hatch and a reduced height isn't worth it for me.

Green_GTi

Ready to race!
I've had this mod on my R for about 6 months now. I can't imagine how it would be without it now. The extra amount of pressure isn't that much of a problem. My wife's CC has it from the factory. I can't believe that VW doesn't have it on all of their cars.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk