GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DWB - Driving while being Black?

Was this a clear case of prejudice?

• Yes. Cop (even though he was Hispanic) was being racist

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • No. This happens to everyone...ok, well...a lot.

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
CRAP -- my fault, I totally misread this post and thought it was you:

Yeah he just took my license and insurance back to his car and ran me I suppose, then came back and told me I was free to go. Then I called him a douchebag to his face and rolled up my window lol. Probably not the smartest move on my part but eh...

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
3 Freshmen, 1 Junior in High School.
2 of them are my adopted sons.
I never said I was driving them to a party, I said we driving past the row.
This place is a dickfest.

"I am driving on Figueroa to take some Freshman friends to see a party on the Row near USC."

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Govi

Passed Driver's Ed
Party = person, sometimes. "Party of the first part (hereinafter "Buyer") agrees to pay party of the second part (hereinafter "Seller")..."

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Airport police questioned my wife about the paper plates on our GTI when we first got it while she was waiting to pick me up. They were out of state temp plates actually printed on paper and taped to the window rather than the cardboard jobs they use here though.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Happens all the time. I'm sure you were doing something to make him pull you over anyways. If you want to use the "RACE CARD" as a reason, I would suggest taking the PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION system. Cops won't pull you over and ask for info then.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Party = person, sometimes. "Party of the first part (hereinafter "Buyer") agrees to pay party of the second part (hereinafter "Seller")..."

I didn't read his grammar like that. Maybe I profiled LOL :lol:

Import cars around here get hassled all the time. My two friends in college with modded imports got pulled over weekly and they're white as Wonderbread from the suburbs. All kinds of shit - exhaust, tint, hey you got any drugs while we're at it, etc. Meanwhile I had my Mustang with basically no exhaust and I never had problems until I tripped their radar guns.

lchavez

Passed Driver's Ed
It does happen, police play the same games that crooks play. They do believe they are above the law.

I was in a silver rental car on a business trip. I had just past a silver car that had been pulled over and all of a sudden I had flashing lights behind me. he stated that his fellow officer had clocked me speeding. first, I was not speeding, second, the fellow cop was not even in his car.

the officer then stated that he smelled pot in my trunk. had nothing to hide so I let him look.

that was it....no apology for wasting my time.

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
Happens all the time. I'm sure you were doing something to make him pull you over anyways. If you want to use the "RACE CARD" as a reason, I would suggest taking the PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION system. Cops won't pull you over and ask for info then.

:dnftt:

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
It does happen, police play the same games that crooks play. They do believe they are above the law.

I was in a silver rental car on a business trip. I had just past a silver car that had been pulled over and all of a sudden I had flashing lights behind me. he stated that his fellow officer had clocked me speeding. first, I was not speeding, second, the fellow cop was not even in his car.

the officer then stated that he smelled pot in my trunk. had nothing to hide so I let him look.

agreed. however, this thread has taught me a lot about the attitudes and especially the assumptions of individuals.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
the kids in the car were all Asian. they all thought the cop was racist, they were offended, talked about it for the remainder of the night, and are a bit traumatized for being singled out in a very WASP-ie part of Fig (near the row).
i don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder and don't assume everyone is out to get me, but... in general, the truth of the matter is that if it feels racist, it probably is. i also don't think the officer felt very comfortable after the experience, it seemed that way when he left. it's entirely possible that he felt bad about pulling me over as he would feel humiliated in that situation too--especially for such a lame reason.

I hope you aren't taking offense to my reply. I aplogize if I did. I in no way can tell you how you feel. My opinion is that most law abiding good people are traumatized when they have a run in with Law Enforcement when they have not done anything wrong.

When I hear profile, I immediately think of everyone being taken out of the car at gun point and searched. Then after you are searched they make sit either on the dirty street or curb until your name come back from being run. :eek:

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
first, I was not speeding, second, the fellow cop was not even in his car.

Oh, forgot to say it earlier. I'm sorry that happened to you. That kind of shit would have had me fuming. I'm too old, and have worked too hard in life to be treated like some punk.

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
I hope you aren't taking offense to my reply. I aplogize if I did. I in no way can tell you how you feel. My opinion is that most law abiding good people are traumatized when they have a run in with Law Enforcement when they have not done anything wrong.

Nah, it's fine. But Wow--Thanks for apologizing, you are a good person, my friend.

When I hear profile, I immediately think of everyone being taken out of the car at gun point and searched. Then after you are searched they make sit either on the dirty street or curb until your name come back from being run. :eek:

Yeah, I used to assume that "those people" sitting on the curb with handcuffs must be gang members or something, until one day it finally dawned on me.