GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG vs Manual

boostgti1

To any of you GTI drivers who previously preferred manual transmissions: How do you like and compare the GTI stick shift with the GTI DSG dual clutch tranny?

I suppose I need to test drive a DSG myself before writing off the dsg as 'just another automatic transmission'... I get that its a dual clutch tranny and can be operated in auto as well as true manual mode... But for someone who came up with slushboxes since the '70s, and has always preferred to row his own gears, its hard not to see all versions of automatic trannies as slush box trannies... got to get over that..

MonthOLDpickle

Ready to race!
I don't miss my manual.

07CARRERA

Ready to race!
I've been a stick guy all my life (Mustang Cobra's, Z06's and 911's.) That is until I test drove a stick and DSG 08 GTI 2 years ago. I was sold instantly on the DSG. There was no other way to go when getting my 2010 GTI either. I love that transmission for the quickness, convenience and to top it off the better gas mileage. Mind boggling! I love the way it just clicks into gear when ever your shifting. Such a solid high quality piece of equipment.

JumpinJackFlak

Ready to race!
I miss my 3rd pedal. but driving on base at 430 in the morning with speed limits between 10 and 35 max speed, i dont miss it THAT much.

Danny Boy1

Ready to race!
you sound like the person that will get the DSG and regret it. just get the manual

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
you sound like the person that will get the DSG and regret it. just get the manual

Exactly, see I had the same doubt, for a few seconds but I had it. I thought nah no way, manual was the right choice. Then I got a DSG as a loaner and I realized that it was indeed the right choice. The loaner's a TDI but a DSG still, and oh man it's bad, when trying to merge into another lane on rush hour it takes like a second to react and find the right gear, once it's in gear and accelerating it's fast and you don't loose boost since it shifts super quick but downshifting is the worst thing ever, damn even my hyundai tucson downshifts way faster.

07CARRERA

Ready to race!
Exactly, see I had the same doubt, for a few seconds but I had it. Then I said nah no way, manual was the right choice. Then I got a DSG as a loaner, a TDI but a DSG still, oh man, it's bad, when trying to merge into another lane takes like a second to react and find the right gear, once it's in gear and you're accelerating it's fast and you don't loose boost since it shifts super quick but downshifting is the worst thing ever, damn even my hyundai tucson downshifts way faster.

i never have those problems. Just takes a little practice and boom your there!

zee

Go Kart Champion
Exactly, see I had the same doubt, for a few seconds but I had it. I thought nah no way, manual was the right choice. Then I got a DSG as a loaner and I realized that it was indeed the right choice. The loaner's a TDI but a DSG still, and oh man it's bad, when trying to merge into another lane on rush hour it takes like a second to react and find the right gear, once it's in gear and accelerating it's fast and you don't loose boost since it shifts super quick but downshifting is the worst thing ever, damn even my hyundai tucson downshifts way faster.

I have never experienced this in 22,000kms and daily rush hour. I switched from a manual and have not looked back.

MonthOLDpickle

Ready to race!
On paper DSG is faster than the manual. coutnerpart. I can say it is in my car.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
I have never experienced this in 22,000kms and daily rush hour. I switched from a manual and have not looked back.

Really? wow, maybe this particular DSG is bad, I was even thinking of taking a video yesterday to show you guys the time it takes to react from the moment I push the accelerator and when it really starts to move. Sometimes it will downshift to a gear it wasn't supposed to, figure out it's not down enough and shift again.. Unsafe.. I could have been hit by another car while it figures it out. Also, when coming to a stop, it feels like it's going to stall. It's not like I care anyway, it's not my car but yeah, I would honestly never choose a DSG. I like picking my own gears.

zee

Go Kart Champion
The DSG always short shifts in D mode for improved efficiency and hardly makes use of the first gear. A switch from a manual(or even DSG) GTI which holds each gear longer and has a lot longer rev range to a DSG TDI will definitely feel like the car is not acting fast enough to your reactions.
I can't comment more on the way your loaner acted becasue I was not there, nor have I seen a video.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I like picking my own gears too, when I feel like it. Which is why DSG, especially in S mode, is a blast to drive especially with paddle shifters.

plat

Ready to race!
To any of you GTI drivers who previously preferred manual transmissions: How do you like and compare the GTI stick shift with the GTI DSG dual clutch tranny?

I suppose I need to test drive a DSG myself before writing off the dsg as 'just another automatic transmission'... I get that its a dual clutch tranny and can be operated in auto as well as true manual mode... But for someone who came up with slushboxes since the '70s, and has always preferred to row his own gears, its hard not to see all versions of automatic trannies as slush box trannies... got to get over that..

I recommend that you test drive a DSG and a manual GTI. I guess, the choice depends on how much you want to row the gears yourself. I also grew up rowing gears and I enjoy doing it. One reason I chose the DSG and automatics in general is due to the nature of city driving. I hate it when I never get past 2nd gear because I meet another red light at the next intersection and repeat the process several times. I was doing so much clutch action within the city that the clutch cylinder in my old '97 Accord Coupe started leaking at around 60K miles. Before the advent of bluetooth phones, it was also diffiuclt to answer you cel phone when driving a stick in the city.

When I test drove a manual MK5 GTI, I particularly liked how easy it was to depress the clutch pedal compared to a MSP3. The shifter felt very nice, too. Another thing I did not like with a manual tranny is the need form me to move the seat forward a bit more so my left leg won't be too stretched out when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. As a result, my right leg is bent more than what I felt was a comfortable driving position for me.

So, these are the reasons why I chose the DSG and its clever and swift shifting mechatronics unit over the manual tranny.