GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG v. 6MT

MKBoulder

Ready to race!
Dont even hesitate to get the DSG.. I am probably one of the few people that have actually owned both the manual and the DSG at this point.... I had a 6MT first and tired of it after a short time. I now have the DSG and can tell you that it is the tranny of the future.
My previous cars include 911's, TVR's and a host of other exotica.

The DSG + Golf is a mind blowing combination. Think "budget M5".....

frankly you will drive the DSG in manual a lot more than you think because it is quite perfect. On the other hand it is heaven to have the sweetest auto ever created when you want to sit in a long line of traffic.

Also, on VW vortex there is a guy with a 6MT and his car has already dropped the clutch with only 2K miles. VW are not covering it under warranty !!!! Need I say any more ?

marcinek

Touring Car Newbie
:thumbsup:

I'm still on the fence. I love the feel of being in total control(clutch, having all those gears in your hand). But the practicality of the DSG is great too. Here in southern california traffic is pretty bad. Having a manual in traffic isn't too fun, but it's bareable.

I'm just not sure. What kind of TVR did you have?! :eyebulge:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I'm sure there is more to the story about the clutch and why VW wont cover it. But that's another thread... I like my 6MT, but am glad that the GTI comes with the DSG as an option. Can you imagine these cars with just the boring Automatic most cars have??? What an insult that would be. I really do like the DSG but I got to have the feel of slamming the gears back and forth. Every bodies Fast has a preference. My Fast likes the 6MT.

Double-V

Go Kart Champion
1. VW is covering his clutch.
2. Imagine VW not covering two clutches.
3. I still prefer a manual transmission - my automatic years have not set in yet, no matter how well DSG works.

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
The clutch design in the dsg is somewhat different from what we're used to. I do smell a little bit of a "burning" smell when I get out of my dsg, not really sure what that might be... I've heard others mention it. I got the dsg because I'm sharing this car with my fiance' and it's too much bother to teach her to drive a manual.

Used to be that a stick was the most efficient way to get from point A to B. It's no longer true, the dsg has superior performance AND it is faster. Emotional sentiment towards change notwithstanding, it's a very easy decision to make in favor of the dsg.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Don't get me wrong, I like the DSG. I think it is a marvelous piece of machinery. I just prefer the 6MT. Maybe if I get another GTI down the road I will look at the DSG. I do know that I will never look at an automatic the same again. It's like taking out a Victoria's Secrete model on a date and then having to take out the lunch lady on the next one.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Looking fwd to the DSG. Seattle traffic is killer at times. And.... the wife won't fry my clutches again!

MKBoulder

Ready to race!
The wonder years.

Double-V said:
1. VW is covering his clutch.
2. Imagine VW not covering two clutches.
3. I still prefer a manual transmission - my automatic years have not set in yet, no matter how well DSG works.

Thats greato hear that VW is covering hos clutch.. I am sure he will be delighted when hears the news !

Re. your auto years... Remember that technically this gearbox is not an auto !!! I can certainly understand your affinity to the 6MT.. rather amusing that technology has overtaken it though !

icbigotenks

Ready to race!
im going to be buying a GTI here in about a year if all goes to plan.. but i cant decide. for a while i was straighht up 6 speed... but hearing all this great talk of DSG, its hard to decide :( ill have to drive them both before i make a final decision

MKBoulder

Ready to race!
Dont be afraid to let go of the past.... Do they uses clutches in WRC and Formula 1... Of course they do but the car doesnt have a pedal. Same thing as the V.

Test drive it.....

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
DSG all the way:headbang: