GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"DSG: Stick Shift R.I.P."

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
Personally I could care less whether it's technically an automatic or a manual. It does what I want it to do and thusfore what it's referred to as is of no worry to me. Heck, on the same thought the Ferrari F1 gearbox in the F430 is an automatic because cause it has an "auto" button for automatic mode if I remember correctly. Maserati's Paddle Shift box has an auto function as well.

Regardles of whether it's auto or manual I enjoy it; It's great for the commute to work, and I wouldnt change my decision on getting the DSG. I love manuals and rowing my own gears as much as the next person, but DSG is what was more practical for me at the time.

DubaiJohn

Go Kart Champion
To DSG or not to DSG that is the question

Just thought I'd chip in on this one.

2 1/2 years ago I moved over here to Dubai and what with the traffic and everything I thought I'd buy an auto equipped car after a history of about 6 or 7 manuals. The car I decided on was a Passat 2.8 V6. I thought it, at the time, an excellent car but I hated the auto box. Really slow to shift always appeared to be in the wrong bloody gear as well.

Ifinally decided that the time was ripe to change for a new toy and the lure of the gti was too much to bear. Before going to the showroom I had already decided in my head that it was to be a manual despite the daily drag of shifting constantly in traffic. However when I test drove a DSG it totally chnged my mind. I love the DSG really smooth quick changes and with the advantages of an auto in traffic as well.

Since getting my DSG equipped gti about 6 months ago I have been lucky enough to compare the DSG with a couple of decent 'boxes.

Firstly a really good manual box......and brace yourself you rice intolerant members out there. The Civic Type R (I think this is the Si in the USA?). The box is really quick and accurate, very satisfying to use.

Also what I consider to be my next car, if the money gods smile down on me, a 2005 BMW M3 equipped with the SMG box. This again is a paddle driven auto. It comes equipped with a button that allows you adjust the ferocity of the shifts. When you are getting after it, it gives you a real buzz and feels like it is doing a good job of getting all that power right to your butt! In town though it goes back to feeling a little slushy and inaccurate.

In summary...I love a really tight, aaccurate manual which gives a real sense of involvment and satisfaction. But even after my nightmare with my first auto box...DSG I am a convert.

I can't wait to get it on a track.

Sorry for the length of the diatribe, once I started typing I couldn't stop.

tmrakip

Dog is my co-pilot
tydale3 said:
WHEN ANY OF YOU DSG OWNERS GET MORE THAN 50,000 MILES ON YOUR CARS, LET ME KNOW! IF YOUR DOING ANY MODS OR RACING THE DSG IS NOT GOING TO WITHSTAND THE PUNISHMENT THAT THE 6 SPEED WILL.

Not me personally, but I'm sure there are plenty of GTIs, A3s and TTs out there with that kind of mileage on the DSG...
Also I have 70k miles on the SMG-II on my M3, that is heavily modded and is my track car. Not a single problem yet.