GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG slips into neutral at highway speed

virusdoc

This is my first post--I searched but did not see anything directly related. I have a 2012 GTI with the DSG, 45k miles. Today while driving at highway speed (65-70 mph), the transmission twice fell out of gear into neutral, and engine rpms went well into the red. Both times I was able to back off the gas and the transmission reengaged, and seemed to shift normally otherwise.

I recently performed the DSG oil change using oil and filters purchased from my dealer, and the top-fill method described in many posts here. I checked the temp of the fluid digitally (using a laser thermometer on the outside of the case) before draining the overage fluid through the bottom siphon. The entire job went as expected, with one exception: the filter sold to me by the dealer did not look like the one I took out of the filter casing. The original filter was simply a white filter material all around, while the replacement had a black plastic honeycomb design support on the exterior. I called the dealer, read them the part number for the filter they sold me, and they confirmed that it was the correct part in their database for my VIN. They claimed it was a part revision and that despite its different appearance it was correct. It did in fact fit snugly in the housing.

So, I have two questions:

1) what is likely going on with my DSG?
2) is it possible that the incorrect filter was sold to me, and could they be related?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

A3-Owner

Ready to race!
DSG False Neutral

Google dsg false neutral and start reading. I was getting this due to a speed sensor wheel housing issue. My DSG was going into false neutral because it could not get the speed from the speed sensor and would go into neutral to protect the transmission.

Here was the code I got:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/19143/P2711/010001

Hopefully you find out what is going on.

virusdoc

Have you checked online for the part number?

Yes, and the part number they gave me says it is for a Beetle 2.0 TSI DSG. But the guy at the parts counter showed my his transmission blow up for my VIN and it has the same part number. Could be an error in their database, but he said he had no other part to sell me.

virusdoc

Thanks--this is definitely the behavior I'm seeing. I'll see if this trouble code is in memory. Dang am I wishing I'd already purchased the VAGCOM I've been planning to for years!

Google dsg false neutral and start reading. I was getting this due to a speed sensor wheel housing issue. My DSG was going into false neutral because it could not get the speed from the speed sensor and would go into neutral to protect the transmission.

Here was the code I got:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/19143/P2711/010001

Hopefully you find out what is going on.

A3-Owner

Ready to race!
TCU Codes

You are definitely are going to want to read the codes from the DSG's TCU and normal scan tools can't read it from my understanding so Vagcom would be helpful. p2711 was on the my ECU but my indie VW shop found the TCU codes with Vagcom.

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
It is a revisd filter...

I'd be more concerNed you are low on fluid, as Temps to drain are done with internal sensors.