GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

dsg shifting questions

VdaWg

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I'm new to this dsg and shifting in general, can someone tell me the proper way of using the dsg shifters. I use it but I don't know if I'm using it correctly, let's say i'm going 75 mph on 5thgear and I want to make a quick pass I usually shift down a gear and watch the rev's go up and shift back up to 5th. Would that be correct technique? Is the car doing it's thing when the revs go up from shifting down and matching when you shift up? Also questions on downshifting if i'm going 85-90 mph on 5th/6th gear and i see a stop light 300-500 feet ahead and i quickly shift down to let's say 4th/3rd gear not using brakes I know the revs will go up but is it natural and safe for the dsg tranny to do that?

bilbos

On the Kop
When using the paddles, I try to drive the car as if I were driving a manual. If you want to pass, then as you said, just drop a gear and do so. The DSG is very flexible. It will only intervene if you are redlining it or it thinks the car is about to stall at which point it will either change up or down, respectively.
For example, if you were in 6th and were approaching a red light, and manually shift down, then the DSG will only drop to a gear that is safely within the rev limits, probably 3rd, depending on your speed.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
Downshifting for improved acceleration is correct technique. (assuming the next lowest gear won't redline the engine) The tranny should not be used as a braking system. If you're going 90 and need to stop, you shouldn't be downshifting to 3rd without using the brakes to slow the vehicle first.

If you're not familiar with shifting in general, maybe try putting it into auto mode and paying attention to how the computer shifts gears. From your post, it sounds like you're being too aggressive with your shifting.

VdaWg

thanks, I've never downshifted from such speeds without using brakes, i just wanted to know if it was possible. Now when you downshift say you're going 85-90 on 5th/6th gear and you want to downshift to 3rd, do you brake while you're shifting to 3rd or brake until the speed is slow enough and then shift to 3rd?:smile:

sarny

Ready to race!
I have been driving manuals for 13 years and I never use the transmission to slow down without the brakes. Its a lot cheaper to replace the brakes than it is to replace a transmission.
I hope to buy a 5 door with the DSG and I am sure I will have questions as well.

VdaWg

yeah i know, I don't want to get carried away and just think that the dsg is bullet proof and do whatever with it, i do my little experiments here and there just so i can get to know it better. It's funny when I drive in dsg tip mode I can see why the 6mt would be as much fun. But since I have never driven a manual I didn't want to get a 6mt mkv to learn on, much respect to maual people:bow:

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
VdaWg said:
thanks, I've never downshifted from such speeds without using brakes, i just wanted to know if it was possible. Now when you downshift say you're going 85-90 on 5th/6th gear and you want to downshift to 3rd, do you brake while you're shifting to 3rd or brake until the speed is slow enough and then shift to 3rd?:smile:

Oh, I thought you were downshifting to slow down.

I'm not sure what the max speed in 3rd is on the DSG. If you search Car and Driver's website, they have an article that lists the vMax for each gear.

bilbos

On the Kop
VdaWg said:

I would just shift down to 4th, watch the revs, let the car slow a little, and then downshift to 3rd.

And with regards to slowing the car down with the gears on a manual transmisssion, I have always done it. The lazy option is to use the brakes :wink:

VdaWg

I guess both, downshifting for acceleration and downshifting while/for slowing down.

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
bilbos said:
I would just shift down to 4th, watch the revs, let the car slow a little, and then downshift to 3rd.

And with regards to slowing the car down with the gears on a manual transmisssion, I have always done it. The lazy option is to use the brakes :wink:
this is why we manual car owners get MUCH better life out of our pads :biggrin:
VdaWg, if you dont mind me asking, how old are you?

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
VdaWg said:
does age matter in shifting? haha...29
nah i was just wondering lol... because i know alot of times younger generation (as myself) have never driven sticks. I know many of my friends havnt. In fact of my friends, only two of us have sticks as our daily drivers. Me and my good friend in his CTS.

VdaWg

I would like to learn manual but don't have any friends with stick cars, dsg will do though I have no complaints with it at the moment.

MKV GTI

Autocross Champion
the DSG tranny doesnt let you downshift too far to blow the engine. the DSG will shift gears for you also if the car is about to stall out or if it revs too high (incause you forgot yer using the shifters and the car revs up really high and stays there it will switch, kind of like being in sports mode). so you cant over downshift with the DSG or shift up too high with it.

newtogolf

id say DSG is like an arcade game, u can change the gears whilst keeping ur foot right down on the accelerator.

like lets say ur in 6th at 60 and u wanna get some power, ud tap down to 5th, revs go up to say 3000 and u get a power surge. and u can tap down to 4th and get an even greater power surge starting at say 4500 revs.

and all this can be done while flooring it. i so want one of those.