GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG service

Wüstenfuchs

Alpha and Omega
How many miles have people gone without doing the dsg (fluid and filter) service?

Nobody smart went more than 40k.

If you spend time at the track it should be more like 35k.

Wüstenfuchs

Alpha and Omega
What exactly would be the damage if you went past that mark?

Wüstenfuchs

Alpha and Omega
They keep jumping back and forth regarding timing belt service. I have my doubts that they hit the mark with dsg service.

They keep jumping back and forth regarding timing belt service. I have my doubts that they hit the mark with dsg service.

But if you're under 100,000 miles and like your DSG warranty extension you should have serviced it maybe twice by now.

An independent shop quoted me all of $220 for the job. You can do it for less than $150 by yourself.

Wüstenfuchs

Alpha and Omega
I don't disagree with the service based on cost. My main reason for asking is because I'm looking possibly to purchase a 2010 car with dsg. The problem is that a lot of the cars don't have service records so it's impossible to tell if they were serviced at 40K. Most people have the common sense to change the oil but dsg service is something new.

Wüstenfuchs

Alpha and Omega
As far as I know there is no warranty extension on 2010 transmissions. Never paid much attention to dsg before because I have a stick.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
If there are no records, just assume it wasn't done. It's not a hard job if you have the tools.

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
I wouldnt have a problem with it if the low speed creep is fine on cold starts. Furthermore.... get it up to operating temp, drive 50+mph for a few minutes, come to a stop, and let the transmission creep forward. If no clunking or anything like that, I would go for it. Change the fluid as soon as you get it though.

The reason the fluid change is so important is because the same fluid that cools the clutches is also used for the mechatronics valve body. Clutch particles build up in the fluid over time, then damage or clog the mechatronics unit.

navyslideby

Big Turbo Vroom
i did mine at 36k miles. smoothed out my shifts a tiny bit which i was happy with. and it cost me $225 to have it done. could be worse....

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Convinced my dealer that there was something wrong with my DSG.. Which I believed there actually was.. But they replaced the whole mechatronics unit and luckily it was right around when I was due for a service hehe

markcaughey

Ready to race!
It does seem like a easy enough job but if you don't have VAG COM then you can't do it by yourself. Or am I wrong is there anyway around the fluid temperature issue when trying to get the correct level ?