GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Issue?

Akusho

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello!

I have noticed a few times in the past (maybe once in a couple of months) that when I start the car in the morning on a relatively cold weather the reverse gear would slip a few times (the revs try to go up but the car jerks and they go back to idle, repeat), but today I have noticed that even in first gear when the car was standing still on a small incline the gear would slip in the same way - the engine revs but then jerks and goes back to idle, repeat, until I give it a bit of gas and then it goes.

I have attached a video. After a few of these occurrences today I pulled over and restarted the engine and the problem was gone, I tried a very steep incline and the car pulled without any issue.

Here's a short video I managed to capture:
https://youtu.be/JFmI8AXSqsI?t=14

It happens about 15s in. You can see the revs bounce but the speed doesn't change. I managed to capture doing it only once because there was a car coming up, but it can repeat until I give it a little gas.

Any idea what could be the issue?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I highly doubt anythings ~wrong~ with it. Maybe a DSG adaptation will remedy your issue, maybe it wont. My mom's 2011 CC DSG has done this for years, has never had a "problem" with it. Its just a little mechatronics unit trying to slip the clutch, messes up, retries. Sometimes it'll mess up multiple times before it gets it right. All you do is give it some gas and it's fine...

Akusho

Passed Driver's Ed
My only fear was that either the clutch was done or the whole gearbox was on the way. As long as I'm not the only one and this is not considered serious I'm content :)

Akusho

Passed Driver's Ed
It's just the dog slipping the clutch as if it were you slipping the clutch on take off.
Yeah, but once it engages the clutch and tries to move the car you can feel the clutch slip and the car jerks slightly. It kinda feels not very normal.

I checked for error codes and I did get a gearbox code, couldn't find any info on it though: P173400 - Starter release from the selector lever sensor system
Intermittent

It also doesn't have a date so I have no way of knowing if it appeared with the slipping this morning or something else. The car also might have been running while I checked, and as I understood I should only check when its off. Anyway, I cleared the code and will keep a reader ready.

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Again, do a DSG adaptation and you should be good. Maybe check your fluid levels? Some cars have come from the factory over or underfilled.

Akusho

Passed Driver's Ed
Happened again this morning. I restarted the car and it drove normally... Weird. Plus the P173400 fault code keeps appearing and I still can't find any info on it.
I think I will have to take it into service next week. Doubt they will find anything though, as it happens when the car is cold.