GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Fluid Change

jamonroe

Passed Driver's Ed
Been researching about changing my DSG Fluid and found a few threads with directions on how to change the fluid. One thread I found had detailed instructions on how to change the fluid but it also stated that you MUST have a Vag-com. Is this really necessary? If not how to do you know when to drain off the excess oil. Also does the car need to be cold?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Last time I had mine done was at the dealer. Ignoring the oil change and tire rotation, the DSG service cost me $255.40.

id say its fair. the fluid itself is pretty expensive and the tools are even more so. you need vagcom because there's no dipstick. you use vagcom to get the temperature of the fluid since it expands as it heats up. once its the right temp and the oil is at the right level, THEN you can seal everything up.

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI
$300 is great. I got quotes from $460-$599 and up! Found a local dealer that did it for $335!

Also, I believe the fluid has to go into the car at a specific temperature, not sure if the car has to be cold or not.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You don't need a VCDS if you measure out the amount you removed and replace it with the same amount. I talked to a mechanic who has done dozens, and he said it works out to the same every time. It's 4.5 quarts. And yes he does have a VCDS PRO and the right tools. It's just not so critical, hence the leeway in temperature.

Szczur33

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
You need the Vag com to measure the fluid temperature. Thats the only way you will really know if you pout the right amount. there are variances when the fluid temp. is off

jamonroe

Passed Driver's Ed
I say that's way too expensive. Most reputable shops down here charge around 250, with some as low as 190. Dealer is always the worst bet, usually 500 and up.

This was an import mech shop not the dealer. He's the only one close to me at 1.5hrs away and the VW Shop in STL which is 2.5 hours from me wants $350