GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG COVER SOLUTION - MUST READ

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Still the soft paint but look what I got for only $36 plus shipping. COMES COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED. I only used the new cover and PRNDS and satin ring because I didn't want to remove the ball (you can sneak the old cover off). The new ball's button is shiny while mine is satin (not that you would ever see it). I took it apart so I can repaint my old cover the same color after removing the soft paint, to save as a spare.

Lists for $50 if you can find a local dealer to order it (mine wouldn't). It's new old stock. Auburn VW in WA state knows all about it, and as you see heavily discounts it. This is a $300 part folks, if you buy the new part number. Get them while they last. Original p/n belongs to a GLI. Looks identical - has "DSG" on the ball. Same electronics, plugged right into my 2007 GTI.

Auburn's phone # is 888-528-5280. VW P/N is 1K1-713-203-Q-USZ.

Of course, buy and install at your own risk. And BE CAREFUL - pry carefully.

I might be interested in selling the ball and boot at some point.

Attachments

• DSG Cover.jpg
    DSG Cover.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1,792
Last edited:

CW08DSG

I don't care.
Car(s)
08 GTI 2dr DSG
Did they have these in stock or did they have to order it? I was curious about their inventory levels. My shifter surround is flaking too. Debating on painting/plasti-dip etc. but having a new OEM piece sure has appeal.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Did they have these in stock or did they have to order it? I was curious about their inventory levels. My shifter surround is flaking too. Debating on painting/plasti-dip etc. but having a new OEM piece sure has appeal.

They only had the one in stock. They said there were about 40 in a VW warehouse at the time (a week ago). I would order one now if you want one. When they're gone they're gone. Even with UPS shipping from Washington state to Central Florida it was cheaper than buying from a local dealer. It lists for $50 and it cost $50 with shipping. Buying from a local dealer would cost $53. I would have bought locally, but my dealer wouldn't order it for me because it was obsolete. Stupid people.

As for painting the old one, I called Rustoleum. They said they have a new spray paint that's made for painting plastic without a primer. I have to find it to see the cap color but the rep said "Stone Grey" was the closest to their dark grey, which online looks to be close to the original color. It must say "For Plastic" on the can. Supposed to be a satin finish. They say you can apply it right to the plastic but I think it might help to lightly sand with 220 grit sandpaper first. I did tell them it was shiny ABS.

And don't forget, you're getting the entire assembly - shifter knob, boot, silver trim ring, and the PRNDS lights in addition to the cover. Heck, if for no other reason it can be a nice coffee table decoration if you prop it up so the shift knob doesn't flop over :)

Last edited:

CW08DSG

I don't care.
Car(s)
08 GTI 2dr DSG
They only had the one in stock. They said there were about 40 in a VW warehouse at the time (a week ago). I would order one now if you want one. When they're gone they're gone. Even with UPS shipping from Washington state to Central Florida it was cheaper than buying from a local dealer. It lists for $50 and it cost $50 with shipping. Buying from a local dealer would cost $53. I would have bought locally, but my dealer wouldn't order it for me because it was obsolete. Stupid people.

As for painting the old one, I called Rustoleum. They said they have a new spray paint that's made for painting plastic without a primer. I have to find it to see the cap color but the rep said "Stone Grey" was the closest to their dark grey, which online looks to be close to the original color. It must say "For Plastic" on the can. Supposed to be a satin finish. They say you can apply it right to the plastic but I think it might help to lightly sand with 220 grit sandpaper first. I did tell them it was shiny ABS.

And don't forget, you're getting the entire assembly - shifter knob, boot, silver trim ring, and the PRNDS lights in addition to the cover. Heck, if for no other reason it can be a nice coffee table decoration if you prop it up so the shift knob doesn't flop over :)

Thanks much for the info! :thumbsup:

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
I called my local dealer with the part number, he states that the number is still active and that list is $300. I called the Auburn and left a message for their Internet parts guy.

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
It seems that Auburn VW doesn't return voicemail, and when someone actually picks up, they put you on hold for 10 minutes. I give up. I'm just going to plasti dip the damned thing.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I called my local dealer with the part number, he states that the number is still active and that list is $300. I called the Auburn and left a message for their Internet parts guy.

They're quoting you the price for the superseded part.

Sometimes Auburn gets busy but for what they charge I put up with it. Keep trying. The afternoon seems to be the best time to call.

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
They finally called back this afternoon. I went ahead and ordered one. For that price, why not? He says there were two available in the whole country, I got one, and he ordered the other as well. So if you want one, be quick.