GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drove this yesterday...

C4L

Banned
No, the 325i has the old 2.5L I6. It's the 328i that has the 3.0L I6, and the 335i has the 3.0L I6 with twin turbos (pre-refresh) and single twin scroll turbo (after refresh except 335is which retains the twin turbos)

I thought this too. I thought the 325 had the old 2.5L I6 w/ 184hp. It does in fact have the 3.0L I6 w/ 215hp.
The E46 generation 325 had the old motor. The E90 generation does have the 3.0L. The 328 did maintain the 3.0L I6 but went to 230hp.
You are right about the N54 and N55 used in the 335 though. Twin to single turbo setup. Though the 335is does have the N54 w/ Twin Turbo to make the extra 20hp.

I know A LOT about 3-Series. I have liked them for a long time. The last one I drove before this 325 was a 2010 328 Coupe and 128 last summer when looking to buy my GTI. I was not too impressed with either of those, at the price at least. Knock $5k off, great rides.

Last edited:

C4L

Banned
I'm not surprised you weren't impressed. I learned to drive in an 08 E90 335i and I have similar feelings. handles well and great power, but it just didn't feel right to me. throttle tip in was atrocious (it was nearly impossible to smoothly get off the line: start lightly tipping in and the speed picks up a little bit, but then you reach a certain point where the boost kicks in or something and it jerks forward). not a transmission problem either, it was legitimately just the fact that it couldn't accelerate very smoothly. i also personally disliked the steering heft. i get it: good for higher speeds, but it was just WAY too heavy. finally, i thought the brake pedal feel was atrocious just like the throttle tip in. it had this huge dead range: push a little bit and you get an initial bite, then you hit this dead range where you continue to push and you can feel no noticeable difference in braking, and then it will hit another point where the added pedal input actually does something and it jerks to a stop.

BMW has clearly moved forward though, since the 2011 135i convertible I've driven several times recently doesn't have any of these issues. It just stuns me that the E9x was instantly given awards and considered the best car in its class, because I thought it had none of that "BMW" driving feel. Everything driving-wise about it felt artificial, pudgy, or unrefined. If it was a 325i I had driven, I certainly would have been even less impressed because of the lack of power.

Your impressions are IDENTICAL to mine with these cars minus the great power with the 335. The 325 does NOT have great power. All else seemed the same as your experience with the 335 you learned to drive in.

Its got to be the change from the N54 to the N55 for the 35 models. I have never driven any of the turbo Bimmers before but I am confident that that would change things a bit. I tend to prefer forced induction.
I drove a 128 and 328 Coupe last summer when looking to buy my GTI and those weren't much better than this 325. 128 felt cheap (for the price) and the 328 felt heavy (for the size).

Forced induction and DSG seems to suit me well. Guess I will hold out till I can afford a B8 S4 for now. My ultimate DD dream car.:thumbsup:

C4L

Banned
And I actually don't think the hood vents look that bad. The whole hood was changed to an E92 M3 style hood with the addition of the carbon fiber vents. Not too bad in person. Belongs more on an M3 then it does on a 325 but...

BenH

Ready to race!
^^^325/TT both share 3.0L V6^^^
Having owned a GTi fully modded and a 325 there simply is no comparison.
Hit 155 mph in the Bimmer and still had 1500 RPM left. Didn't feel out of breath at all but instead ran out of road. Sport Mode on a BMW try it on highway and see what you think. Having owned several Turbo cars the NA 3.0 Bimmer motor feels much more stronger than a GTI. Rear wheel drive...Gotta Love It.

Tomato

My wife drives a E91 325 sportwagon and I know what you mean. The inline 6 with magnesium and aluminum block is very smooth and breathes very well up top. Top 10 engine in 2006. BMW motors breathe and get stronger as rpms build.

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
I wasn't comparing a GTI to a 335 or 328 Coupe. I am not comparing the manuals and the autos. I am comparing a GTI w/ DSG to a 5-year-old 325i Sedan with Steptronic. And in this case, even a modified 325 Steptronic can't compare with the overall driving characteristics of a GTI.
It was literally slower in every way. Slower acceleration. Less weighted/balanced steering (due to the awful Servotronic Steering), non-linear brakes, non-linear throttle actuation. And heavy.

I think this particular 325 looks better than my OE GTI. But the only reason a 325 costs more is because of the badge. IN THIS CASE.

Don't be a badge whore. I like cars, not brands.;)

I agree with everything you are saying. The GTI is a much better drive than the 325 BMW. GTI>325

C4L

Banned
My wife drives a E91 325 sportwagon and I know what you mean. The inline 6 with magnesium and aluminum block is very smooth and breathes very well up top. Top 10 engine in 2006. BMW motors breathe and get stronger as rpms build.

My GTI peaks 207lb/ft of torque FROM 1800rpm to 5000rpm and peaks 200 hp FROM 5100rpm to 6000rpm

The 325 peaks 185lb/ft of torque AT 2750rpm and peaks 215hp AT 6250rpm.

The GTI is stronger at ALL RPMS...:)

And to me, SMOOTH = LINEAR (like my GTI that has a flat power curve). Then you negate this idea by saying it 'gets stronger as rpm builds'.

Nothing about that car was linear. It was progressive. The servotronic steering, the brakes, the throttle. I prefer linear.

Not a great motor in that car. The VW 2.0T was developed in 2006. The 325 motor was discontinued in 2006. That should tell you enough right there.