GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drain / Syphon Fuel on my MK5

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
It varies but mine comes on at about 3 gallons. The only way to know for sure is to fill it up as soon as possible after it goes on. GTI's also have the "miles to empty" display so we don't need to worry about it.

liamb2001

Passed Driver's Ed
must be a useful feature

well ive been to petrol station and pretty much filled the tank now (with diesel) and it runs ok ...gonna take for a belter of a run now and hopefully itll run through the fuel line and be fine.

For anyone reading this topic in future, it really is an easy job to empty your tank if you put the wrong fuel in it but before even attempting find yourself some kind of pump or better syphon method than sucking a pipe and you will be fine

ToeMoss

Brain Dead
You did make sure the bucket or whatever your dumping it into is lower than the actual petrol tank right? It's not just the top of the tank, the level of the fuel tank to the ground would cause the issue your having, if that's the only thing wrong.

My guess is that the fuel tank cap + nozzle flap thingy were not opened at the time.

Phil1964

Car(s)
Golf
I did the same last sat,i put nearly £15 in mine.when I noticed i got pushed off the pump
i took the back seat out and took off the cover to get to the fuel pump.i tried to syphon some out and was using just some hose.anyway after many mouthfull of patrol i managed to nearly fill a 5lt container then put the ring back on and filled the tank up.drove car home,only 2 miles slowly.no smoke or judder i have ordered a £12 siphon transfer pump and im going to pump out most of the fuel again.will the put some fresh fuel in maybe £20 then when i refill again will start using the other fuel i took out maybe a few ltrs at a time. and once my container is half full i will top it up full and then put the whole lot back in.should be diluted enough then.its not hard to take take the back seat out.only 4 clips, and all you need is a flat screw driver and if jot a hammer just something to tap the screwdriver to move the metal ring.anti clockwise and it moves easy to.what i did notice because the tank is low when trying to siphon with just a pipe its hard to get the fuel to flow because they are on the same level but it does start if you get it right.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
The last time I had to remove fuel from the tank I remove the Lpfp and used one of these with clear hose to a container outside of the car.

Perhaps the fuel line to the engine bay can be opened up and use the in tank Lpfp to drain tank, just don't know if I want to drain the tank completely that way because the Lpfp would be running dry and the fuel is actually used to cool the pump down, that's one reason you should refill when at a 1/4 tank.

Be safe don't want to go boom.