GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe install cost?

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
Just curious before I call around, what is the going rate that you've found for a shop to install a downpipe keeping cat-back? I don't have a ramps, so figured I'd let a shop put it on.

90ina20

Car(s)
MK7 GLI
Any decent shop should be able to do it within an hour maybe 90 minutes max if you have a 2019 model or a golf R.

Ungwei

Car(s)
2019 VW GTI
I was quoted 375 dollars in CT so I ended up doing it myself on ramps, though as a novice it wasn't super easy and I had my dad helping.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Any decent shop should be able to do it within an hour maybe 90 minutes max if you have a 2019 model or a golf R.
Huh?

You meant to say unless there?

Golf R 1hr would be a speed record.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
What is different about the 2019 model? I know mine was a bitch to get out.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You shouldn't be charged for more than an hour of labor. You probably be though. If you have a space to work in, you could buy a jack, jack stands, and the necessary tools to do it for less than a shop would charge you to install, and do it yourself.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
More expensive than a set of ramps from harbor freight ;)

90ina20

Car(s)
MK7 GLI
What is different about the 2019 model? I know mine was a bitch to get out.

i know for sure the heatshield mounting behind the LSD is a b*** to get to. Those 2 nuts on the passenger side. Granted I was on jack stands in a parking lot. Even then I had to go back to the store 3 times until I found a ratcheting wrench small enough to fit in there to get them off.

other than that it’s a huge pain to wiggle the OEM DP out and if the shop isn’t familiar with VW’s I could see them start disassembling unnecessary stuff. I almost gave up until I watched YouTube videos that confirmed it’s possible to get out.

Edit: the downpipe hanger is riveted on the MY2019+ cars. So it has to be drilled out from the back to release from the rubber enough to pop it off

Last edited:

90ina20

Car(s)
MK7 GLI
Thanks. I'm debating shops or buying jacks. Just don't want to mess up install.

I would go this route. Even though I personally had a bad time it’s pretty hard to mess up the install per se. But now that I’ve done it, I would totally do it again and probably could do the job in an hour. I spent more time than I had to because I didn’t have the right tools. Just make sure you have a set of metric ratcheting wrenches (the $12 set from Walmart worked for me,) and a deep drive socket set with a long breaker bar for the exhaust sleeve because the bolts will be rusted and impossible to get loose without leverage. Last thing is the hanger is riveted on the newer cars, so you have to take any household drill and drill through the rivets to release them once you have the DP off the car.

I barely had my car jacked up off the ground but I did it for all-in-all $80 bucks in tools including the jack stands. The ShopDap video really helped show me how to wiggle the DP out properly when I was losing hope. Just know it does come out even though it may not seem like it. If you DIY make sure you buy a new DP gasket to the turbo, part #5Q0253115B. Mine leaked until I replaced this part.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
The higher you can get the front end the better, I couldn’t imagine doing it on ramps, I was nearly 2 feet in the air on the stands and was still tight on wiggle room. Make sure you have extensions and the proper bits and yeah, it’s more just time and wiggling than anything else. As for cost, yeah I’d say 1 hour labor, maybe 1.5 from a shop. Took me a good 3 or 4 hours but I’m slow.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
+1 for doing it yourself. There's not much you can really "mess up", per say. You just need patience, and the right tools. I did 2 MK7 turbo-back exhaust installs, and the first time I didn't have the right tools and the second I did. Makes the difference between a 5 hour job and a 2 hour job.

That and believing in yourself. You can do it!