GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dogbone insert gone, now a weird noises.

I sold my 034motorsports dogbone insert and now my car makes some weird noises that sound like they're coming from the tranny but I'm not sure. Does anyone know what it could possibly be? Maybe I didn't tighten the bolt enough or perhaps too much? Thanks!

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I sold my 034motorsports dogbone insert and now my car makes some weird noises that sound like they're coming from the tranny but I'm not sure. Does anyone know what it could possibly be? Maybe I didn't tighten the bolt enough or perhaps too much? Thanks!

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
out of curiosity, why did you sell it?

SRoads

Ready to race!
when you increase the stiffness, you increase noise. If it is torqued properly, dont worry about it

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
retorque it at 75 lbs and see what happens.
Do be careful with this. The bolt is a stretch bolt, and if it hasn't been replaced, this will be at least the third time it is being torqued to (hopefully) spec. The bolts are not designed to handle that.

I would replace the bolt, torque it to spec, and see if the noise goes away.

SRoads

Ready to race!
Do be careful with this. The bolt is a stretch bolt, and if it hasn't been replaced, this will be at least the third time it is being torqued to (hopefully) spec. The bolts are not designed to handle that.

I would replace the bolt, torque it to spec, and see if the noise goes away.

Don't stretch bolts usually have a torque spec + 90deg turn, reg bolt that are not "stretch" usually just a static spec or am i wrong?

Tone1

Ready to race!
I'm about to install the dogbone insert, should I have a fresh bolt on hand for the install? Also, (noob question) how do I know it's torqued to 75 lbs? Do I need to use a torque wrench or is there another way to approximate the torque?

out of curiosity, why did you sell it?
It was a great product but I didn't really like the vibrations. Yes they were very minimal but I like the refined drive the GTI has without the vibrations. Like I said though the dogbone insert did everything it said it would! I would recommend it.

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
I'm about to install the dogbone insert, should I have a fresh bolt on hand for the install? Also, (noob question) how do I know it's torqued to 75 lbs? Do I need to use a torque wrench or is there another way to approximate the torque?

You'll get mixed responses on using a fresh bolt. I used a fresh one but many reuse.
You won't get mixed responses on using a torque wrench. You'll need a torque wrench to install and either an impact wrench or breaker bar to remove.
Jimmy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
It was a great product but I didn't really like the vibrations. Yes they were very minimal but I like the refined drive the GTI has without the vibrations. Like I said though the dogbone insert did everything it said it would! I would recommend it.

Thanks, good to know. I would replace the bold, cheap insurance

Brainclaw

Ready to race!
I didnt replace my stretch bolts when i installed my H&R Springs.A bit later, coming home from work, i had a CV Axel failure due to not replacing stretch bolts. They were torqued to spec 100%. Had to rebuild the CV axle and axle joing aswell as rebuild my underwear. A cv axle failure when your driving is slightly extremely scary.

PS:This is not to scare you or anything by any means. More so to recommend spend the bit of cash to get fresh bolts as insurance.

blower

Ready to race!
I didnt replace my stretch bolts when i installed my H&R Springs.A bit later, coming home from work, i had a CV Axel failure due to not replacing stretch bolts. They were torqued to spec 100%. Had to rebuild the CV axle and axle joing aswell as rebuild my underwear. A cv axle failure when your driving is slightly extremely scary.

PS:This is not to scare you or anything by any means. More so to recommend spend the bit of cash to get fresh bolts as insurance.

I assume you re-used your axle bolt and it was that one which failed / came loose?

Always always renew the axle bolt every time you take it out - it's the one bolt you must not take a chance on - plus a new bolt comes with thread locker on it...when you try to reuse the same bolt you have no thread lock.

Other VW stretch bolts can be reused, multiple times as they barely stretch (if at all) when torqued down - but again the axle bolt is one you do not take a chance on!

Brainclaw

Ready to race!
It was actually one of the triple-square bolts that bolt the cv axle to the diff. You can see some of damage. When the bolt came out,1 of the 3 little bracket/braces, It slung around and tore a hole into the unit and proceeded to make god awful noises and spew axle goo everywhere due to the fact the brace/bracket is actually held by 2 bolts, so it spun freely and cause a bit of mayhem. ALL SUSPENSION bolts have been replaced with a complete axle bolt kit from Deautche and are holding fine.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
From http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/stretchbolts.html

The replacement bolts your dealer supplied are referred to as s-t-r-e-t-c-h bolts, because they are PERMANENTLY stretched when properly installed. When stretched they actually "neck down" or have a reduced diameter and area where the metal has been stretched. This reduced area has experienced Plastic Deformation, and will not hold the same torque (tension) if applied again, it will in fact stretch more, (loosing tension) and often fracture. This is why stretch bolts must ALWAYS be replaced, and never reused.

Stretch bolts are used by car manufacturers for several reasons, usually none of what is reported in the hotrod magazines. First with stretch bolts automated engine assembly is much easier as the tightening of the bolt can vary by as much as 1/2 turn in most cases and provide the same clamp force. This is due to the fact that when a fastener is tighten into plastic deformation, it will not change it's effective tensile strength, (and clamp force) by very much over a given amount of elongation, (stretch). So when the pneumatic machine tightens the bolts in your engine, it can vary up to 1/2 turn and still have the same clamp force... at least in theory.[...]

Tone1

Ready to race!
Do any hardware stores carry these bolts, or do you have to order them online from ECS or the like?