• uploadfromtaptalk1345609909082.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345609909082.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 481
  • uploadfromtaptalk1345609936404.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345609936404.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 480

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
Tiny turbine. Did u wiggle the turbine shaft to check for play? I'm sure it LOOKS like that at 60k or 160k miles. There is nothing out the ordinary unless I'm misiing something

kenneth_cano

kenneth
Car(s)
2006 GTI MKV
Tiny turbine. Did u wiggle the turbine shaft to check for play? I'm sure it LOOKS like that at 60k or 160k miles. There is nothing out the ordinary unless I'm misiing something

I moved it with my finger and it spined fine, never seen or touched it before so I have no idea if my turbo is good or bad its still stock turbo and lately I feel the car has loost boost but I have no boost leaks:/

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

eod69usn

Ready to race!
for what its worth that looks better than my ko3 did at half that milage...also, no turbo last forever

kenneth_cano

kenneth
Car(s)
2006 GTI MKV
for what its worth that looks better than my ko3 did at half that milage...also, no turbo last forever

How would I know if its going bad? I haven't even gone stage two I've been broke lol might just got ko4 when the turbo goes out. But I've wanted to move up one state at a time

eod69usn

Ready to race!
i believe that a ko3, since it is a journal bearing turbo and not a ball bearing turbo, there will always be a small amount of side to side play. its the endplay you need to worry about, not sure what the exact tolerances are, but if you search the interwebs you will find lots of info about ko3's (any b5s4 forum)...did you notice smoke when under acceleration or above average oil consumption recently?

kenneth_cano

kenneth
Car(s)
2006 GTI MKV
i believe that a ko3, since it is a journal bearing turbo and not a ball bearing turbo, there will always be a small amount of side to side play. its the endplay you need to worry about, not sure what the exact tolerances are, but if you search the interwebs you will find lots of info about ko3's (any b5s4 forum)...did you notice smoke when under acceleration or above average oil consumption recently?

Well I just checked my oil today and it seemed to get about halfway pretty quick in about a month and a half or so, and I get some black smoke at wot
But not much, could it be the piston rings wearing out causing my oil consumption?

eod69usn

Ready to race!
possibly, but normally the seals of these journal bearing turbos would last much less longer than piston rings...also a turbo will eat oil much faster than worn rings. So it if it is your rings you are in big trouble...if the turbo is out of the car then swap in a new ko4 or if needs be another ko3

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
If the turbo was leaking oil, it would be all oily inside, instead of dry soot

black smoke is from running rich. When it's billowing clouds of blue-ish smoke, then you've got a problem

FSI engines just drink oil, that's how they are. just keep it topped up and drive it like you stole it