GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does Thermal Wrapping your Intake actually help???

Slater

FaNaTTicK
Car(s)
08 GTI MKV
Iv always wondered this.. does anyone have any evidence that they know of where someone has done an actual test on HP gain by thermal wrapping an intake?

KingEgi

Design....Innovate
Car(s)
2006 GTI Mkv
I wrapped mine when I had a Honda (H22). It helps keep its surface temp down which in turn would keep it cooler by definition but I cant say to the hp claims. In reference to the Gti, the only use for it would be because of the extremely hot engine bay and possible warping.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
The charge picks up far more heat during compression by the turbo than it does during its short trip through the intake.

Does it help? Yes? Would I bother? No.

Slater

FaNaTTicK
Car(s)
08 GTI MKV
I read somewhere it causes more moister and is actually worse in the long run for your motor than it is good..

BoardSnow6

Banned
Car(s)
Capita Scaremaster
I read somewhere it causes more moister and is actually worse in the long run for your motor than it is good..

Want proof.

A FMIC would definantly do more towards lower IAT's than wrapping your intake.

utekineir

Banned

Technically warmer air has the potential to hold more humidity than colder air. And the condensation would occur on cooler surfaces.

Last edited:

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
I wrapped mine, but thats because I wanted more accurate temp reading on the MAF element. Also, I cant run a heat shield because I have a wastegate in the way... eventually I will cut my evolution motorsports one to fit.

John/Cue\Publik

Speed>stance
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
I'd imagine you'd notice more consistancy in the car with a wrapped intake more than it being something you'd feel inthe seat of your pants

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G Shift using Tapatalk

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
You see it in logs and on the dyno... plot lines _can_ be smoother

Sent from my rooted Epic 4g.